Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys

I need some ideas on how to restore the center emblem and the headlight door emblem. I would like to make them look stock. can I do it while it's still on the cat or do I have to remove them? Also the trunk latch cover.....Spray?....brush?.... materials?

Don:confused:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey i think you can purchase a new trunk latch cover if you wanted one but Im drawing a blank on the company name. I'll post it later of your interested... Lance

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool.... that wiil work for the trunk

But the front.... I want it to look like this:D

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm not certain about the front emblem, but I know Ray Harwood restores the trunk emblems and the side xr7 emblems. you may want to check with him.

Steve

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well last night I bought some liquid etcher, some liquid masking, some masking tape, and some gloss black paint, some acid bruches, ect I am going to try it this week end........ wish me luck:1poke:

don

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I have done it

The only way to do it right is to take the H/L door completely off and then dremel (the rivets) on the chrome and on the emblem off. Once the emblem is off you have to dremel the cat off. When doing the black background you need to remember that it has lines in the design and not to paint to heavy to lose the texture. The Mercury Head center is easier. He just pops out of the emblem with some pressure. When putting back together JB Weld works well. Now that you have the door apart and the chrome off repaint the door. Oops, it won't match the rest of the grille, take the grille completely apart and.... Might just be easier to try to mask it and carefully paint with it on the car. I did take mine completely apart and was really happy with the results. But it was a LOT of work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
on the car

This is from the Fab Fords show the grille is my favorite part of the car

Attachments

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
HMMmmmmmmmm?????:rolleyes:

Doe!!!!!!!:angryfi:

Don

·
Registered
216 Posts
John from John's Classic Cougars suggested using black paint that is HIGHLY thinned in several coats, and "flow" it into the emblem. This will keep you out of the high spots that aren't supposed to be black. My car is a driver, and is not as true to the meticulous level of detail that the show folks are. I, too, took my entire front headlight assemblies and grill out, but I repainted and restored everything, so I'd do it gain that way. I made the mistake of asking my wife what she thought of the grill/headlight covers after painting black, but before removing paint from the chrome. So, they're still black. (It was a decision based on simple cash flow principles you know; give the wife what she wants, and it flows!) I suppose when the black paint starts flaking off the chrome, I'll clean it all off and have a good excuse.

Ron.

P.S. I'm thankful to have a wife that philosophically puts up with having a hot rod Cougar!!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Daily Driver

Ronzoni Thank's for the Complement "Show Folks", I know I have done a good job when it looks like a show car.
Actually, my Cougar is my only car and I drive it daily. Thank God for my Technalon Car cover.
OH... I used semi-gloss rattle can paint on mine...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
yup, Satin black Rustoleum rattle can was what was used here as well. it looks good to me. but mines a daily driver. no show car here.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I'm still working on it....... It's been painted and restriped now about 4 times..... The problem is the letters that say "COUGAR":angryfi: I've tried painting and rubbing it with thinner but it always seems to take the letters with it. I think I'm gonna try hand painting it today after work... But this is turning into a PITA to get it to look right...
And yes it's still on the car..........One good thing the center grill turned really good

Don

PS.... My wife thinks I'm Nutz:D

·
Registered
633 Posts
How did it go!

I am trying to redue my grille this weekend. How did it go? Did you get it finished?

What did you find was the best method to getting this done, so I can skip a couple of steps in the process. LOL.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmm the best way to do the grill is to give the car to me, let me paint the grill and polish it out, and that will be it..... all i require in payment is the car itself :D ok ok, how bout i buy it off of you?? ill give you $415!! see?? you are already MAKING cash off of it instead of spending it in what may become a perpetual money pit :D

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I was doing the emblems only and after many trys I finnaly got them looking like I wanted.... The hardest part in my opinion was getting the letters C O U G A R under the cat right What I finnaly did was.....dont laugh..... use a sharpy pen to color in the letters and then spray the whole emblem with a matte finish clear. I'll try and post some pics this weekend. Now my grill and H/L doors are in real good shape so all I had to do was hit 'em with some of that tire gloss stuff (after all I don't it on the cats tires) let it set up and wipe them down......

Don:D

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
a little late

A little late maybe but when I do a grille I of course clean and prep the area but I paint the entire grille with Satin Black #T8 in Plasticote. After a short while depending on temperatures I take a rag w/thinners and I wipe away what ever I do not want painted ie the cat and bars.Q tips for small areas Then I walk away and wait till later to either install or put into service. No pesky time consuming masking and for drivers cats this can be a fifteen minute restoration process. As long as you use the thinners within a few hours you will be fine but I usually only wait 15 minutes max. Hope it works for ya, Catzyalater

1 - 20 of 21 Posts