Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the correct way of making the scoop on an eliminator. Ive got a 69SS and i'd like to make it functional. i saw a circle cut out on one hood. Is this correct? And I would imagine the air cleaner would come up through here right?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The scoupe was not only installed on Eliminators it was also installed on Ram-Air cars. If your car came with Ram-Air, then yes, the hole would be cut in the hood. However, the air cleaner does not stick out that hole. The top of the air clear contained a vacuum operated flapper valve which opened to allow air into the carb. Cars that did not have Ram-Air did not have a hole cut in the hood. The scoup was only for looks on these cars.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. What would I be getting into if I wanted to ad the ram air. I'm sure that part is hard to find. Do they make any aftermarket items? Thanks

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Be ready to spend more than $1,000 on a ram air air cleaner. No one makes these and they are getting harder to find.:)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You have the option of making home-made ram air. Cut the hole in the hood, keep your stock air cleaner base and install an after market 14 inch filter and chrome top. This will give you some area to "catch the air" for the carb. You'll also need some way to seal the air cleaner base to the hood. Original type ram-air seals were going for about $100 the last time I looked. You could probably make your own seal, though.

Check out the article I wrote on the Delmarva Cougar Club website about Ron Crouch's '70 XR7. He has home-made Ram air:

http://www.dcconline.org/features/cotm/0899.shtml

I thought about going the home-made ram air route, but decided to just leave it as a cosmetic item.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ram air problems

Problems with ram-air? Yes there are!

If you have a car with ram-air, especially one that isn't factory, you're gonna limit when you can drive the car.

"Huh? whattheheck is this guy talking about?" I hear you guys out there.

Well, that scoop is gonna be open 24/7/365. You're bound to run into some rain sometime! Not all of us are blessed with sunny skies year round. Where do you suppose any rain is gonna go? Right into your aircleaner base. You'll have to install a drain and tube in your aircleaner base to get rid of most of the water. Yes, most. You won't get rid of all of it, and most stock bases have humps and lumps outside of the element ring. Its gonna slosh around and get your filter element all wet. Wet elements don't breathe.

OK, see the problems here?

Why do you suppose that the factories don't provide ram air to all of their cars, especially if clean cool air makes the engine run better? There must be reasons, and only one of them is cost!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very good point

That was a good point. I'll just leave it on as cosmetics. Thanks for your help. Really!!

1969 SS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts