Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the group - I've been researching rebuilding or replacing the rear in my 1970 cougar (which folks have already hooked me up with some great suggestions, thanks!) and it winds up the most cost effective solution for me is to actually replace the entire unit rather than rebuild the current unit from the ground up. So, the question I have - it's a 1970 Eliminator. Is the original rear end worth anything? In other words, I really dont want to keep a spare rear end lying around, but am wondering if I should consider rebuilding the original versus replacing it due to the potential loss of value of removing (and scrapping) the original. Any opinions on the matter?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
"replace the entire unit "; meaning the whole rear axle asembly? Or just the center section. IMHO, and car which is being kept "original" needs it's original parts. How is it cheaper to replace your rear axle assembly, than to rebuild the center section and new bearings?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt want to repost the entire previous post, but in a nutshell I'm going to swap to 31-spline axles and Posi, so everything is being gutted. I found someone who will send me a whole new unit for about as much as I've been quoted to rebuild the one I have by my local shops. (Labor rates are the killer, I am not comfortable doing this particular job myself).

·
Registered
390 Posts
Is the metal tag still affixed to the differential housing? is it a traction loc? The 9" housing alone can fetch an easy 100bucks to the chevy guys, I sold an empty axle tube housing to a camero guy for 250 bucks a couple Summers ago.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd think you have the 9" trac loc. Plenty beefy - what's wrong with it? You should be able to have it rebuilt for around $500-$600 I would think. Not easy to set up by yourself so I'd have it done by a shop that does rears regularly.....not easy to find these days

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope. I have a 9" open differential with 3.0 gears. Since I have to buy the traction unit, I have to decide to buy 28-spline or upgrade to 31-spline, and hence upgrade the axles too. I'd rather over build it once than risk failure when I DO decide to dump the clutch at 4,000 RPM or participate in a burnout contest during a show. :)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
"I have a 9" open differential with 3.0 gears" Is that what the car came with, or is that what it has in it now? If it came with the open rear end, I would still keep it, if you can replace the whole thing as described...

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
No reason why you couldn't pick up the center section built the way you wanted and a pair of 31 spline axles and just plug those guts into your existing housing.

If your heart's set on replacing the whole unit.... that's too bad..... You're too far away for me to come and get it for my next project. It would have been PERFECT!!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hero, there is a guy out there in Ohio who's fantastic to work with building rear ends. As a matter of fact, thats where I'm considering having the complete rearend shipped from, and he's almost the same price to build and ship a new one as it is to have my current one rebuilt locally. What's that tell you? :) Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
tmbrwolf!

KISS!!!!! local hero nailed it. You only need new axles (they slip in) and the center section (it bolts in!) So why bother with dorking everything else up....brake lines, spring perches....??????? You have someone build you a new center section with a 31sp T-lok or whatever version of limited slip you desire, and then you order a set of 31 spline axles. Once they arrive you jack the car up, drop the axles, the gear oil, and the center section out. Clean out the housing, slap a new gasket and some sealer on the housing, and reverse the above......hoist the center section in, slide the axles (with new seals and bearings installed of course!) in place and tighten it all back down!

Be sure to specify the same type driveshaft yoke as what you have! But you have opened a can of worms here by upgrading the axles.....because then the next weak link will be the u-joints and driveshaft...... This is how it starts....!

Just for reference, your old housing, should you go that way, with the 28sp axles and 3.00 gears in it, should bring you $450-500+ on the open market. They do bolt into Camaros....and any 67-70 Cougar/Mustang that needs an upgrade from 8" to 9" rear! (Drive shaft needs to be shortened) The are not as plentiful as they once were......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts