Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Eliminator Pics?

1K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Royce Peterson 
#1 ·
Does anyone have some good pics of a white eliminator? I have searched around but can only seem to find Yellow, blue and Orange.

Thanks.

#4 ·
It may not be the flashiest but I like the white. Tim and I have discussed my doing a white e-clone but I would do some more black outs on it and think it would look great.

Just from a "driver" stand point white makes sense to me as they dont look as bad when a little dirty and the white is a easy color for touch ups. mm

#7 ·
Chuck Logan's Eliminator is a super nice very original car. He is expecting big bucks because of the NADA value showing his car to be worth $40,000 or so. (His interpretation, not mine) While I think it should bring top dollar it would be the first I have heard of selling in that neighborhood. Does anyone know of a Eliminator actually selling for more than the $24,000 that the Boss 302 went for a while back?

#10 ·
For sure all Cougars are going up in value at a rate exceeding that of my 401K.

The highest price I have heard on :
70 R-Code Convertible = $29,000 (Rich Ladd)
68 GTE 427 = $43,000 (Pinkerton)
68 GTE 428CJ (4 speed) = $45,000 (Pinkerton)

All of these cars were outstanding examples of their kind in better condition overall than Chuck Logan's R code 69 Eliminator.

#12 · (Edited)
cougars and price

When I went "surfing" for my Cougar in the winter of 2000-2001 I used to pull about 7-8 pages from collectorcartrader.com in the 1000-8000 dollar range I only pull 1/2 that now.So someone or somebody out there are buying alot of cougars I know they'er not in my yard.Maybe being a cougar owner will get some respect now.

#13 ·
Yes, the Boss - 2 Eliminator was sold by Frank Bowers to MU.

#16 ·
dan what we are experiencing right now is what happened in the eightys to a lesser extent where everyone is buying up cars and trading them since the stock market took a dump. When the economy takes back up then prices will drop again. if you look at the prices of other cars cougars havent risen as much as their compatriots and like the buicks and oldsmobile are relegated to second class citazens. mustangs and chevys are pulling some big numbers right now. just wait and many of these new restorers who do their restorations with a fountainpen will be selling off their livestock when they need the money to put in that no better stock then the deals will start poppping again. right now its a sellers market. bad time to buy. noty saying in todays market that the car isnt worth that to someone but he has more money than sense personally. but ive never been big on the whole matching numbers thing so to someone who that means something to they will probably pay that but in two or three years will he recoup that ...... thats would not be a test i would be willing to take.

#17 ·
Royce,

Didn't Rich Ladd's 70 Q 428CJ XR-7 red convertible go for $32K? And resold a year or so ago for $28K (distress sale or whatever)? Although not an Eliminator, it should reflect what they are worth. plus 3 years of market change, up hopefully.

One thing I can't figure out is why Eliminators are supposedly worth more than a drop top with the same motor. I always subscribe to the philosophy that "if the top goes down, the price goes up" having had a 64 Falcon Sprint convertible, 64 T-Bird convertible and now the Cougar convertible.

#20 ·
nice thing about clones is you can do whatever ya like to em and do what you thought LM should of done or offered.

#23 ·
Cat prices

Tim,
As for the 69-70 cougars, I agree with you. I have seen more than one R code ragtop sell for over 20K in the last 18 months. I think the red one on ebay a few months ago brought 24 or 25K. Your car would easily bring that kind of cash. I personally would much rather have the ragtop CJ than an eliminator CJ, and it seems that the market reflects that same sentiment. But I am a fan of convertibles, so I am obviously biased.
But as Royce showed us with his info on Jim Pinkertons cats, the GTE still seems to be the high dollar mark for cougars. Royce probably has more equity in his garage than I have in my 401K.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

#25 ·
R code vert

The gold 70 428 convertible has been for sale for some time. I have seen it on ebay, as well as one other car collector site. It was listed at 35K on the collector website but I don't remember what the ebay price was. There was definitely a red 69 CJ convertible for sale a few months ago on ebay, and I am pretty sure it went for around 25K. I clearly remember trying to talk my wife into letting me buy it as an investment....she laughed at me. Both cars were really beautiful examples of the CJ ragtops.
I also do believe that the Boss and CJ Elims are right behind, but I think the ragtop with an equivalent powertrain will always draw more money. If Ford had made a 428 CJ Eliminator Convertible or a GTE Convertible, they would probably be the biggest ticket cougars.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.