Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone's seen this yet, but there's a story on the top 11 "out of the ordinary" muscle cars and there's a yellow Eliminator at #7. There's a few pictures and a nice write up basically differentiating it from the "cookie cutter" Mustangs you see at car shows. I just happened to buy it for the first time and for not seeing many stories on Cougars, it was cool to see them get a mention.

Ben

·
Registered
23 Posts
A guy near my hometown has a 68 yes a 68 Cougar Eliminator.Apparently there were very few Eliminators made at the end of 68. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've never heard of a '68 Eliminator, and the Cougar...by the Numbers book certainly doesn't mention them. There may been some '69 model year Eliminators built in '68, though. I'm sure there are a few others out there who know more about this!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
A guy near my hometown has a 68 yes a 68 Cougar Eliminator.Apparently there were very few Eliminators made at the end of 68. Anyone know if this is true?
Absolutely false. That fellow is mistaken. Eliminator stripes or script added to a 68 do not an Eliminator make.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
what was the first production date for an Eliminator?
The first scheduled production date for an Eliminator is 01D. April 1, 1969. Mark P. (formerly of FL, now of MA) owns the lowest serial number 9F91M559473.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
First one was an M code huh - who woulda guessed? You would think the first guy to order woulda been chompin at the bit for top -o- the line but I guess that doesn't really mean he was first in line I guess. Back in those days the dealers could sit on the orders a bit longer since it was snail mail or phone in to get things done.

·
Registered
726 Posts
First one was an M code huh - who woulda guessed? You would think the first guy to order woulda been chompin at the bit for top -o- the line but I guess that doesn't really mean he was first in line I guess. Back in those days the dealers could sit on the orders a bit longer since it was snail mail or phone in to get things done.
Most likely a dealer order ... like mine.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My 69 is a Hertz sunroof eliminator scheduled for build 4/1/69. Does anyone know if these Hertz cars were the first eliminators produced?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My 69 is a Hertz sunroof eliminator scheduled for build 4/1/69. Does anyone know if these Hertz cars were the first eliminators produced?
Yes, the Hertz cars are the first serial numbered Eliminators and were all scheduled for 4/1/69. Mark P's car is a Hertz and they were all equipped the same except for exterior and interior colors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts