Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would an eliminator scoop fit on a 68 hood? If so, how could I make it functional? I know cut a hole in the hood, but what about a flapper air filter lid; does anybody reproduce these flapper lids?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The Eliminator hood scoop was used on 1968 1/2 428 GT-Es (the earlier 427s had a nonfunctional bubble hood scoop).......so it will fit your hood.

As far as I know no one makes a repro flapper air cleaner lid. But you could do without the flapper assembly and make do with a simpler ram air system. All you need is a hole in the hood and an air cleaner filter and top to fit inside your air cleaner base.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

·
11,000 Posts
Close

Actually the original scoop on my 68 1/2 R-Code Cougar looks like an Eliminator scoop but it is quite different. The Eliminator scoops are molded plastic, the '68 1/2 scoops are hand laid Fiberglas. Stud location for attachment is also different for the Eliminator scoop.

I have seen people install the Eliminator scoop (also same as Maverick Grabber, Mercury Cyclone and Comet) on early body style Cougars. A little hand trimming might be necessary to make it sit flat but it looks good. The stud location is not ideal, some careful trimming of the inside structure on the hood is necessary for use of all the studs.

There is a company in Australia that makes a copy in Fiberglas of the Ram Air flapper assembly. Perhaps Leon knows an easy way to contact them.

Royce Peterson

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Royce, as the old Packard ad says "Ask the man who owns one." I forgot that they are indeed different. But the Maverick Grabber does not share the same hood scoop (they have a twin nostrel set-up).
Also I've heard the aftermarket fiberglass reproductions aren't too good.

I noticed the Ram Air web site has a future 68-69 Torino set coming up. That should have the correct flapper.

Tim B

·
11,000 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Royce, are you sure about the eliminator scoops being plastic? I have a scoop that I personaly took off a 69 Cyclone spoiler that I was under the understanding that it was the same scoop as the eliminator. It is absolutly made of fiberglass. mm

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a scoop from an early 70s Comet on my 68 it fits fine and I think it looks good, it is my understanding that it's the same as the Elimanator scoop. Mine is cracked so if anybody knows a good source for new scoops I'm interested ;)
Mark

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been looking for a scoop that's actually functional, as well as providing a little eye candy. The shakers look like my ticket.

Question is, I know it will look good... but how would it increase performance? I'm dealing with a 351c 2v so performance is a little on the short side. I'm definately looking to steal a few horsepower here and there. Can a shaker setup provide the extra "oomph" I'm looking for? I'd be curious to see if any of you guys have tried something like this and what your thoughts were on it.

Sly

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Sly, ram-air doesnt do much for cruizing. it's meant for high blasting down the track, or highway, and only produces minimal amount of hp. The cost of the ram-air's now-adays arent worth getting one for 10-15hp at most. Do the old T-bolt ram air deal instead, run hoses from inner headlight buckets to a enclosed cleaner (or 5.0L mustang dual snorkle) and its constant air, instead of the flapper lid when vaccuum get up there it opens in ram-air. Just a thought. :)

Rick

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like a good option... only thing I see that would help out (from a California point of view) is that the shaker takes in the air from outside the hood, right? Under the hood having heated hot hot hot air, outside air temp is always cooler. Less detonation/pinging.

or am I just twisted?
Robert

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
So does the T-bolt set up. If you look at pix of Tbolts, you will see they draw air from infront of the car (draw in from the headlight opening into a special air-cleaner), nothing to do with engine heat.
The ram air flapper valve is closed until WOT, so it doesnt do anything until you floor it, and I doubt you can do that on city streets in California;)

Rick

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't saying that the tbolts didn't do that, it's obvious that they do... however, if he's looking for something to put a bump in the hood, hehe, then the shaker will come through...

right? the tbolts are all under hood with the aircleaner assy. aren't they?

Robert

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.

It does sound like better idea to grab cold air as opposed to hot air... or am I not getting it? ;) Couldn't I just do away with the flapper lid, have constant air going to it?

Of course the other end was esthetics. I'd hate to spend 700-800 bucks only to realize I picked up 10 hp. Cost per hp, Ouch! On the other hand, I do want that bump on the hood. I'm not a fan of the 70 hood and need something there...

Sly

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I've seen new Ram Air systems that are under the front bumper, ala Olds 442. but if you want the 'bump' in the hood AND be functional, just cut a hole in the hood. You don't need the flapper to be effective. Just do the air cleaner within an air cleaner and a rubber seal and you're set.

Tim B

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oooook so does anybody have a source for Eleminator or Comet GT hood scoops?
Mark

P.S. BTW those scoops are mostly for looks, mine has a hole cut through the hood for fresh air and many years ago I used to stuff a towel in the hood scoop in the winter, at higher speeds the airflow would pull the towel out. This suggest thare is a low preasure area at higher speeds at the front of the scoop. I suspect that at higher speeds the air flow breaks over the front of the car and causes a dead zone or low preasure area 2-3 inches high above the center of the hood........ever notice most real race cars have hood scoops 6-8 inches above the hood? Or they have the scoop bachward to catch the high preashre area at the base of the windshield.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
scoop

I have an original Eliminator. The scoop is fiberglass.
Repro at john's classic cougar...
Bolt pattern is different, but usable.
The one I think lookes badssed is the repro Boss 429 scoop,
same shape as the eliminator, only 2 inches taller!
If you dont go tall, It's mostly for looks...:ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
The repo Boss scoop is kinda different then the Elim. I have both. I'll take pix side by side and show the difference, small, but they are different.
Rick

1 - 20 of 41 Posts