Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Contributing Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across something that is questionable. I don't understand how someone can "borrow" photos belonging to others, make a few changes and claim them to be there own arktwork?

Or Am I just imaging things about these pics on this site (scroll down to the 3 for wallpaper).
Questionable photos. They look very familiar.

1969 Cougar Eliminator from boss302.com

Mercury Cougar.net photo gallery If this link doesn't work go to the photo gallery on mercurycougar.net and go to the second page.

I thought the photo gallery or pictures on these sites were for the proud owners to display their treasures and for others to enjoy...not for people to take and claim as there own.

If there are some people that are going to do this, I will no longer post pictures of my car.

Sorry if I sound upset but give credit were credit is due. Maybe people should ask before taking.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Janet as an artist myself all i can say is it is a very subjective feild as all art is derived from something and if someone wishes to take a picture of your car an make it into a peice of art then be flattered. it takes time and effort for any art and yes these are renderings from photots but someone took the time to make them as viewed and i see no harm. if what you are saying is the case then mercury could get upset for you posting any pictures of your car since they do hold the rights. I agree that he maybe should of asked but since they are posted on public domain and they are not exact reproductions there. I would just take it as a compliment more than anything else.

·
Contributing Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree if someone took a picture of my car at maybe a car show or somewhere that is fine. However, the photo used was one I had taken of it in my front yard and posted to the site. People need to realize that just because it is on the internet it is not free for the taking.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Well i know tim and i am sure he will be happy not to do anything without your permision and will get that picture off there if askedif it is truly yours. but after looking at the pictures i dont think they are the same and even if they are there are only so many ways and angles with which to draw a car. You would be truly hard pressed to prove that they are your pictures and i am not so sure they are. the red car pictured has rear window up painting does not. your yellow picture isnt even at the same angle as the painting.

·
Contributing Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You are looking at the wrong picture. The water color was done by Tim but not my car. Go further done to see the blue, red & yellow ones that can be used for wallpaper.

Tim has already done a special request for me using my picture.

I would not have any problem proving that my photo was used and then manipulated through a paint program of some sort. Both cars have something wrong with them in the exact same spot.

Can you guess what is incorrect in these pictures?

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
is this the one your talking about?

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
and this is the painting in question? sorry but i can tpost it any larger than this. And i see it is not tims site but drawn by tad logan so there was some of my thoughts. still the pictures are not the same.

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so maybe this is not exactly the same as my photo. But why does it have a passenger side mirror? I know mine is incorrect and is being removed during the restoration.

The other two cars are definitely identical to the ones on Boss302.com

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
hard telling maybe the artist likes the passenger side mirrors. look at the new models coming out they have black hood scoops and black wings. neither correct. and yes they do bear a resemblance but they are paintings and like i said how many ways can you paint a cougar? the paintings are definatly diffrent as they have no winsheid wipers the window isnt up and numerous other things that dont act the same. not only that there are only so many colors you can even do an eliminator in. im not defending or disputing i just think that its much to do about nothing and you shouldnt worry yourself about it and keep posting pictures as we are all going to enjoy seeing the restoration in progress.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I gave Tad permission to use my watercolor sketch, I'm more than OK with that :) I generally do my drawing from my own photographs. Not all the time of course......I did a painting of a friend's parents using 1940s photos.

·
Contributing Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well may be TLogan53 can tell us what he did. It just looks too coincidental for those 3 cars... same colors, same angles, same shadows, etc.

Before I use anything on my sites from cars to genealogy I would get permission to use or copy no matter what it was. I still think that it should be mentioned that these were used from actual photos of existing cars.

Trying not to sound ungrateful...I am proud of my car.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Maybe but i am wondering did you get kevin martis permission before posting the picture of your marti report on your web site? It says right on it copyright kevin marti which means that it is not to be reproduced in any form. including the net. not trying to split hairs here but when someone like myself does a drawing whether it is from a picture or still subject i dont need permission as it was art drawn by my hand. same with a picture to reproduce one as a picture not as a painting could be copyright infringment but art is very subjective. with only four colours to choose from and only so many angles to which you can paint a car I feal tlogan 53 has done nothing worth blasting him about.

·
Registered
448 Posts
photo

Janet,
I have a book on cougars with a yellow 69 eliminator on the cover, and in several photos in the book that look very similar to both pictures in question. There are literally hundreds of very similar photos of yellow eliminators posted in various places on the internet that are equally similar. I'd check with the person who posted the picture that you are concerned about before insinuating any wrongdoing. They may actually have copyright permission for a photo that just happens to look a lot like yours. They may have actually just used your photo, but I would find out first. Almost all car photography is done from from one of 5 angles, that means that there are going to be a lot of photos that look the same.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Oh, for crying out loud!:cry:
Wish, someone would do a picture of a 1972 XR-7(or even mine!)
These cars are all works of art. Anyone, should be flattered if their car is used. There are tons and tons of pictures of classic cars out there that need paintings made for them!;)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Me thinks Tad's art work is computer generated, not just assisted. I've played with Corel enough to know what it can do, or not do. I use the computer and photographs the same way, i.e. as a tool, not a means to the end.
I'm sure that that is not Janet's Eliminator photo. The angle is shallower. Even the passenger racing mirror is a fairly common addition for safety purposes. It could be her car, but it's not the same photo.

From all my art classes (HS and college) I can do it from scratch. I know enough about perspective, the human form, and light source/shadows, but I usually start from a photo. I used to consider tracing a cheat. But if it's a technical drawing (as any car IS) a mechanical technique is appropriate. If I was doing an impressionistic still life my method would be different.

·
Registered
448 Posts
photos

I'm with you Tim. Upon closer inspection the two photos are not even taken from the same perspective . The photo of Janet's car is actually taken from a slightly more forward perspective. Giving a clearer shot at the grille and front end. The other photo is taken at an angle that displays the passenger side of the car more prominently.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

PS-if anyone wants to use any pics of my car there are a ton of pictures on my website.

http://home.sprynet.com/~pamar/cougar.html

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you don't want people to use your photo (if he did) don't post it in a public forum. Remove them! There are plenty of other cougars we can look at. Of course then you would cry about why he didn't ask to use your car!:cry:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well let me jump in here and say. First the Yellow Cougar is Barry Zortmans 428CJ Elim.

I am sorry if anyone would be affended by my Wall Papers. If this is a big friggin deal then I will remove all of it.

If this is still an issue then email me and I will remove everything just for you......OK.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Photo

Nevermind I removed all of it anyways......I will keep my wallpapers to myself. Next time I will ask the eliminator registry to give me all the name of every Yellow Eliminator owner so that I can ask each and every one of them permission to make WP. This way I dont have to worry about using Barrys car.

All of this and you cant even email me to ask if it was your car....

Here is the pic of Barry's car I Used. You will see the exact angle and everything.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts