Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

I have a 68 Cougar with a 302 4bbl c-4 trans and have always wanted to upgrade from the points system to an electronic igntion. MSD or Petronix..? Any suggestions or does anyone out there have a good used one thats laying around they are willing to part for $$?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't have one that I'm willing to part with, but I love my MSDs. Before I switched to the 6AL, I used the Ford electronic ignition. I have a Cleveland in my '70, so I went with the '78 F150 351M distributor and ignition box. I am still using the Ford electronic pick-up style distributor for the 351M, but switched to the MSD 6AL for the additional energy and, above all, the rev limiter. Every day of the Cleveland's 46,000 mile life, before parking it for a more suitable daly driver, it cranked 6500 hard RPM without a studder. You just need a small block dist. for a similar year 302. The wiring is also a cinch.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Yes, the Ford duraspark is a very popular upgrade. Ford module's are at every parts store for cheap, and I have never actually heard of one going bad..The MSD box is a great upgrade as well. But I think for the average street car, The Ford distributor and box are fine. Until you start getting into the performance world with cam and gears, you don't really need the full MSD set up...
IF there is a U-pull it junk yard near your place, you can probably get everything you need for under 50 bucks...The distributor, box, and all the wiring..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts