Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to convert to electronic ignition on my '67. I pulled the coil, module, and wiring harness from a '79 Fairmont 4 cylinder (ford used the same parts on EVERYTHING!!). These parts should all be working fine as the Fairmont (parent's car) was parked solely due to a bad transmission and the car fired up and ran fine immediately before I pulled the parts. I bought the distributor that goes on a '77 Cougar's 302 engine.

Part stores (Advance, Auto Zone) list one coil resistor for the '67 Cougar and a choice of two different coil resistors, one the same as the Cougar, for the '79 Fairmont. It seems, therefore, that there is a 50/50 chance that the Cougar already has the right one.

Does anyone know more about this? Does it matter if the resistor on my Cougar is the same as on the Fairmont, or would either resistor work fine? Also, if anyone has done this type of conversion, please let me know how it went including any problems or things to look out for.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Splice the red/green (coil +) wire into both start and run red wires in the duraspark. The resistor is already there.... pink wire under the dash is a resistor wire.

Much better setup is the duraspark distributor and an MSD6A box.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Art, I was planning on using the following diagram. Are you saying I need to alter the method from the diagram? Also, what is the MSD6A? Where would I get it? Why is it better? Does it hook up just like the ford module?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
please contribute

Please, anyone reading this, feel free to contribute any ideas or knowledge you may have on this subject.

Thanks,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone out there?

Anybody there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts