Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1971 Cougar XR7 convertible 351C 4 speed (1 of 47) with a long list of options including factory air, competition suspension, console, clock, AM/FM, radio, potentially making it 1 of 1. I am doing some freshening up and need to change out the distributor. I was considering converting to electronic ignition. What are your recommendations? I do not want to spend a ton of $ and I take her out for cruising a couple of times a week, just want a dependable cat. Thanks
Font Wood Hardwood Rectangle Number

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky
Car Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is a stand alone system. Doesn't need all the wiring and control box MSD uses. Make sure and get the epoxy coil for it. Regular oil coils don't last as long. Another thing, since your 71 used points you'll need, as any electric system does, to get rid of the resistor wire. Mine wants between 9-14 volts all the time. Since this is "stock" looking, most won't be able to tell. Plug gap I've found to be best on my 10-1 comp is .040"
PerTronix Flame-Thrower Stock Look Cast Distributors D134620 $224 at Summit.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would go with a Pertronix unit. They are afordable and is a bolt on for your stock distributor. The new distributor units referenced above are nice too. I use these in all my fords.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts