Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gurus, last weekend I installed an electronic distributor, but now I have no spark from the coil. I replaced the coil last night but no better. I must have wired something wrong maybe you guys can help. I have Positive from ignition “pigtail”(red/grn) to positive coil terminal and positive from elec. Distributor (org) to the coil positive. Then negative from distributor (blk) to coil negative. There is also a Tack wire from the distributor (pur) that I didn’t use. Am I missing something? The old setup was simply red/grn to coil positive, and Black from distributor to coil negative.
Boy I miss those days.:p:

·
Registered
88 Posts
What kind of Electronic ignition?

Travis,

It it a ford duraspark that you installed? from the color on the wiring from the distributor it sounds like it. If it is you are going to need either a Duraspark ignition module (with Blue connecor) or an MSd ignition box. Modified Mark gave me this web site the other day to help me with wiring mine in. www.Mustangsteve.com There is a Duraspark conversion wiring diagram there.

Ron

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron, I knew I should have checked here first. $200 buck for MSD ouch. I think I will go back to the points distributor for now.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
MSD or .....

Travis,

why don't you try and find an ingnition control module at a local wrecking yard? Their pretty common. The salvage yard where I got the donor engine for my son's car the guy had a drawer full of them and they shouldn't cost like an MSD and it could fill in till you get the MSD. I don't know, but you might want to try the local parts store. You want the Duraspark ignition module with the BLUE connector. The wiring diagram at the web site in the previous post gives the wire color codes so it shouldn't be a problem to get it installed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I picked up a new ignition box w/blue relief bushing from Auto Zone for around $18.00........pretty cheap, and works great for a daily driver.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep I just saw that. Does this sound right.

CONTROL MODULE for a
1977 FORD GRANADA
WITH BLUE GROMMET
WELLS F102 LLT $16.99

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
duraspark is cheapo and easy and reliable simply connect dist blk and purple and orange wires to purrple orange and blk wires on box. The red or white wire feeds power to the box I forget which. The green wire goes from - side of tach to box and power must be supplied to coil+ side from the ign switch.
Points do not go out every month. I run almost all my Catz on points and change them about every 18 months. At $20seat thats about $1 per month. I like the originallity so thats way it is here plue s collector plates require stock configurations. There is nothing wrong with duraspark and I use it over any other brand as its Ford.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I almost forgot to post the results. I put in the control mod. and got good spark right away. Easy job only about 15 min.

Thanks to all for the great advice, I am once again totally impressed by the pros on this forum.

Now if I can just get her to fire up, i think its way off timing or intake manifold leak, it just will not run after head gasket replacement. Oh well, it wouldn't be a hobby if I could just drive it right. :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I went with the MSD because that's what was on my engine when I got it. However a lot of people I know prefer the duraspark set up on a daily driven car because of the fact they are vacuum advance (Though MSD does make a vac. advance distributor for the 302 now), and more importantly due to parts availability. If your cruising through EBF Mississippi and you need a new rotor or module good luck finding the MSD stuff. The duraspark stuff is widely available. Guess if I do the power tour this year I'll carry a big box of MSD stuff in the trunk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts