Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've read the stickey on the elect choke hook up several times. my alternator has no marking for the stator terminal but thanks o the pic that 1969XR7VERT posted I'm pretty sure I've got it hooked to the correct terminal. I'm getting a 6.69 V reading at the terminal on the choke with the engine running and it did finally open up after I drove it for several blocks. now It's been sitting in the drive for 45 mins and the choke is still standing wide open. I would have thought it would have closed. does it sound like I'm on the right track
and is the 6.69 V enough to operate it properly ? I'm so glad I found this site ther is just a ton of info here. thanks for any input.
JD

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Yes. The choke takes quite a while to close and you will need to open the throttle to let it close completely, once the engine has cooled off. You can also adjust the choke to open more quickly or slowly by rotating the cap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill. the choke did close after awhile. I've got an edlebrock 1406 on it which I don't have a manual for. I see the adjustment on the choke and it's turned a couple of notches towards the front of the carb which says "lean" on that side of the cap. I assume the leaner it is adjusted the faster it opens and the richer the slower ?
JD

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Thanks Bill. the choke did close after awhile. I've got an edlebrock 1406 on it which I don't have a manual for. I see the adjustment on the choke and it's turned a couple of notches towards the front of the carb which says "lean" on that side of the cap. I assume the leaner it is adjusted the faster it opens and the richer the slower ?
JD
Correct JD. And my pleasure on the picture, glad it helped you.

Regards,

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts