Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a universal kit, and everything looks like it'll work out fine, but i can't figure out where i should put my fuse panel. The stock one was about 1/4 the size of my new one. Right now it's sitting passenger side just below the heater box, but i think that's a little shakey, especially since the wires would run out right next to my headers and exhaust. Anyone have a suggestion for me? THe other thing was, does anyone know of a smaller heater/ac assembly? The stock one is fairly large, and mine is ****ed anyways.

·
Contributing Member
606 Posts
Heater/AC assembly?

Ian,

I agree with Ray. That fuse block should go in the stock location on the driver side. By the way how screwed up is that assembly? You're refering to the plenum enclosure as well. If you don't want to buy a new one I have one here in my garage thats in pretty good condition. Let me know.

Neil

·
Registered
314 Posts
I always like the fuse block under the hood, if you could make provisions for wiring and have the fuse block weather proof I think it would be a great place, just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Neil

I'll see if i can get you a picture, but as it sits the actual heater box and fans and stuff aren't too bad. The problem is all my passages and stuff, they're cracked and broken and what not. If i can find a better place for my fuse panel i'd replace it all, but it looks like i might be stuck puting it under the heater box.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
uhhh Ray here,lol. Why the universale wiring harness? I have done rods before with the $350 harness. What have I missed why you are changing the harness out? this a complete modcat or?I see troubles here.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Is this for a 69? I have a complete dash harness for a std w/ac and an XR7 w/ac. If Neil's wouldn't work out, maybe one of these would. At least, you would be using originals.

Jim

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I agree with Rick. Vintage Air is THE PLACE if you want to retrofit a newer smaller state of the art air-conditioning system. I'm in the process of installing one right now. They make all shapes and sizes as well as one that they call a "Sure-Fit" kit designed for the Mustang and Falcon platform which would probably work in a Cougar. I considered this unit but then decided to go with one of their Generation II units. It runs all electronic servos instead of vacuum to open and close the vents. It is true climate-control and will run on 134a instead of R12 freon. While they do offer smaller versions on this unit. I went with their largest one and it is still smaller than all your stock stuff. As a result, I'm adding a second "fresh-air" vent to the passenger side.

By the way, does anyone have a good cable for this second fresh air vent? Mine is missing.

Sorry to hijack your post but good luck with all the wiring stuff.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts