Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 1968 XR7 390 2v car. New Alternator, after hooking up the wiring. All wiring was removed from the car, After cranking the engine several times. Was not trying to start it was just turning it over. I burnt a small red wire that was attached to the starter solenoid on the post where the the wire goes from solenoid to starter.

Not sure why this wire overheated? My question is and sorry I don't have pictures right now but can anyone tell me what all wires go where on the starter solenoid? I do believe I have the alternator wires correct

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually NDtorque it didn't? I also looked over the electrical diagram in the service manual and it didn't even show a red wire? The only I see in the electrical diagram on the output side of the solenoid is the starter cable. I am 99 percent sure I removed this wire from that side of the solenoid? Anyone with a 68 XR7 with A/C able to look at their starter solenoid and see what all is hooked where?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Harvey, I can't help with the 68 starter solenoid information. However, If I was in your shoes I would at least trace that wire and find out where it goes. My mental problem is that it is a red wire and it should take the 12 volts that you applied with the solenoid. Most likely shorted somewhere and you don't need a fire at this point. The device it is connected to could be shorted as well. Otherwise you would at least find out what it is doing.

Just trying to offer a little help.

Gary

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Spline Head, I'm up for all the advice I can get right now!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I pulled the wires from the solenoid and brought them below the car so I could look at and work on them as needed. Little red wire from the starter side of the solenoid with a yellow connector is the one that burn. What I found though disturbs me even more. There are three wires coming from the alternator. The plug they plug into in the main harness only had two. Nothing in the center where the larger wire goes. I found about eight inches back on the main wiring harness a large black wire that looks as if it had been cut off? Without that wire I don't see how the alternator could charge anything?? Anyone have any ideas on what I should do??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Ammeter ........

There are a couple of ways you can test to see if your wiring is doing what it should. These both require you to unplug the small yellow 'sensing' wire near the solenoid which connects to the ammeter. The small red ammeter wire connected directly to the battery cable side of the solenoid must also be intact but you need not do anything to it unless it has a problem.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/544385-ford-ammeters-testing-making-them-useful.html

follow the links in this forum ...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NDTorque thanks, the wire that burnt on mine though was on the starter side. red wire with a yellow connector? someone else sent me a picture of their 68 XR7 and it had the red wire with yellow connector on that side also? Now I find the center wire from the alternator not connected? Can you splice a wiring harness? or how hard would it be to replace the harness with everything under the hood already?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That Is a Lot of Help and possibly tells me a reason why it burnt. The connector in the trunk was loose and I tried to correct that when I re installed it. Might not have done it well enough or put to much resistance in it.

Do you think cranking the engine to long without starting it could have been an issue? Still have the problem with the center wire from the alternator. I am going to see if I can purchase just the very end of an XR7 harness from West Coast. They may have one that is bad in other areas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts