Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum and looking for some assistance.

I am in the process of putting back together somebody else's mess they created for me. I have the instrument cluster out to replace bulbs...thinking that the bulbs were burnt out since the turn signals all flash outside of the car, but the indicator lights do not.

I have good bulbs, have a purple/green wire that goes to the bulbs into the main cluster harness and then the purple/green wire come out of the harness to a black plug that is just hanging there. I have searched several times and cannot find where this plug goes and am wondering if anybody knows off hand??? Its obviously the reason the lights are not flashing at the dash....

Also, I noticed that the brake light continously stays lighted and saw a black wire broken on the brake lever rod....

Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
913 Posts
I know this not what you wanted to hear but, what you need is the electrical service manual for your car,, can be bought from many Cougar venders.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I don't have 68 schematics here at home but the black wire on the brake lever rod goes to the light next to the light switch and tells you that the E brake is on. The wire hanging out in your instrument cluster goes to the left turn light and connects to a wire that should be right next to the dash pod plug in from the main harness. If your turn lights are flashing on the car and not on the dash there is a turn signal relay under the dash that controls that. Hope this helps. I know that this is the 67 wireing but I think the 68 is the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Much for the assistance. I have a wiring diagram and read it wrong which was problem #1. I now have it hooked up and both turn signal lights light up at the same time when the turn signal switch is activated. They are also very dim as tho power isnt strong enough to run them. Could this be an old flasher issue?

·
Registered
309 Posts
My first guess would be the turn signal switch is feeding both turn signals through the flasher switch. You can turn on turn signal and check the wiring at the plug at the end of the steering column and see if both lights are being fed there. It could be the turn signal relay you might unplug it and see if both lights stay on or they go off or if its the relay only the indicated light comes on but will not flash. The wiring diagram shows from the turn sig switch it feeds each light with power going to the relay and back to the light. The trouble shooting guide shows that the emergency relay (in the trunk) would be the culprit and has a list of checks but only lists this as the problem for your symtoms. Again maintenance books are the best tool!! You can get these service manuals from many sources including WCCC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts