Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a couple of electrical problems I need help on. The ignition key buzzer comes on when the key is inserted and stays on even when the engine starts. The courtesy lights don't turn off when the doors are closed. I have tested the door button switches and they are good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
:1zhelp:

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
There's a small switch in the column near the ignition lock that can get jammed and cause the buzzer to operate incorrectly. Need to pull the steering wheel and lock to check it out.

As for the courtesy lights, make sure that the light switch in the dash hasn't been turned all the way to the left. This turns on the courtesy lights. Sometimes you can hit it with your knee as you exit the car and turn it enough to turn on the interior lights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. What is the procedure for pulling the wheel? I have a wheel puller. I tried turning the headlight switch in all directions the light still stays on.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
you don't need to pull the wheel off. There is a platic cuff going around the area that you need to look at. If its not there then, if it helps, there are four bolts you can loosen that holds the column up. It may make it easier to look around. But before you do any of that look at both switches for the courtesy lights. Check the headlight switch. I've never had a problem like that that involves the ignition switch or anything other than the headlight switch. Maybe the previous owner did some weird stuff to it as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Cougar Lover 29. Lights are working fine now. Problem was the headlight switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts