Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a /69 XR7 convertible that just got back on the road after many repairs. The car has a new gel cell battery, starter, starter solenoid, and after parking it for a week, the battery is dead. While using it the previous week I noticed a couple of times when starting it that there seemed to be a dead spot for a couple of seconds and then the starter would engage. I tried jump starting it and the starter stays engaged even with the key off and out of the ignition. I've been charging the battery overnight and it doesn't seem to be taking the charge. Other than replacing the starter solenoid is there anything else I should be looking for?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ignition switch is a possibility but it is new too. The electrical in this car has been a nightmare. The under hood harness has been replaced in addition to the harness under the dash, the harness into each of the doors and the harness in the trunk. It is getting to the point of calling a Catholic priest to exercise the electrical demons in this car!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had some problems with my starter a while back as well - the "dead spot" you are describing, i encountered as well. after replacing the solenoid and starter itself, i took out the cable that ran from the solenoid to the starter and found it had melted through a bit. replacing that seemed to fix that issue. as for the battery dying, could you have a short somewhere in the system that's draining it overnight?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I'll take a look at that cable as well. There are headers on the car and not a lot of clearance.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
gel cell batterys can be hard to charge if they are dead---hot rod mag had an article some monts back but this is what i've been doing : charge the bat over night on 6 volts then switch to to 12 volts---should solve your problems
doctordesoto

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right it is hard to charge a gel cell, I will try your advice tonight.
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts