Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another one for ya guys (I'm on a roll now) :D , I have put a new battery, regulator, cylinoid (sp?), alternator, and battery wires, and I am still getting a weird problem! It almost seems like I have a bad ground: When the car is runing, the lights will get brighter as I give it more gas. Because the electric fuel pump is in the back near the tank, you can hear it in the car, and when you hit the brake pedal, the pump's RPM's will lower, and the headlights will even dim!

Or, if I am at a stop sign, the turn signals will get slower, or even stop unless I give it more gas! Infact, before I put the new alternator, the turn signals wouldn't work at all!

Does anyone know what this could be? My new alternator is 10 amps more than the stock ones, so I know it can't be that.

Any ideas? :cry:

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Try grounding the block to the firewall. Sounds like you only have the ground from the battery to the block. Check to see if you have a ground strap from the block to the firewall. Just my 2cents.:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Assuming you're running the block to firewall ground strap and cleaned the connections, those extra 10 amps ain't cutting it. You did'nt mention if you have other accessories besides the fuel pump, i.e stereo system, but it sounds like the alt. is just not putting out enough juice.
You might try running a relay for the lights to correct the dimming problem.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
YEP! YEP! GROUNDING STRAP

MANY PROBLEMS AND "WIERD THINGS" ARE SIMPLY BECAUSE OF INSUFFICIENT GROUND. THE ORIGINAL GROUNDING STRAP FOR THE BLOCK TO THE CHASSIS ( LOCATED AT THE REAR OF THE PASS HEAD ) ARE CORREDED INSIDE AND PAINT AND OIL HAVE DIMINISHED THEIR GROUNDING ABILITY. GET A NEW REPRO STRAP FOR $20.00 FROM COUGAR SUPPLIERS, CLEAN THE MOUNTING POINTS OF ANY PAINT AND OIL/GREASE,
AND THEN YOU SHOULD BE FINE. IF YOU STILL HAVE A PROBLEM THEN RE-CHECK THE ALTERNATOR OUTPUT AND THE VOLTAGE REGULATER.. YOU'LL GET IT AND YOU'LL BE SMILING"..:D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hear is my two cents their is a another ground to check It's called the chassis ground. I had this problem with another different car. I was told to check if you have a good chassie ground get a wire go from - side of batterie to fram or body of car. 70 XR7 ragtop Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts