Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1999 Cougar last Friday. I realize this forum is dedicated to older Cougars, but browsing through the forum, I can see there are people here with a real knowledge and talent for cars. I'm here BEGGING for any advice/knowledge you can arm me with before I start talking with the crooked dealership again.

About 4 hours after buying the car, both rear blinkers, the dome light, power windows and power mirror stopped working all at the same time. The dealer worked on the car Monday, and it worked when I left the dealership.

Less than 10 hours later, the dome light flickered as I got in the car, and went out. At that point, the left turn signal stopped working. The next day, the left turn signal worked intermittantly, but whenever the dome light wasn't working, the turn signal didn't work.

On Wednesday, both rear blinkers, the dome light, power windows and mirrors were out again. I will take it back to the dealer on Friday.

Another piece of info: The radio, an after-market Panasonic, doesn't hold its presets. Program 'em and it works until the car is shut off.

What is the most likely cause of this problem? Is it something serious like the alternator? Or it is merely a loose wire somewhere? Any advice to tell the dealership as I have it fix the car AGAIN? Is it related to the radio? I don't know much about cars, but I know I'm in deep doo-doo with this car.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Spam,

It sounds like your Cougar is blowing fuses, on more than one circuit. So, its likely there is one or more shorts somewhere in the system. Could be due to a loose, or bare wire. Hard to tell. The radio has a constant 12V requirement. It sounds as if this is connected to a switched (hot only when the ignition is on) source.

You just bought the car, so the dealership has an obligation to make it right. They're probably confused right now, hoping that replacing the fuse(s) made it all better. Unfortunately, it didn't address or the real problem which still needs to be diagnosed.
Demand that it be fixed. Good luck.

Steve C.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I probably should have added that I replaced the power window fuse myself (which was not blown, but I replaced anyhow), and the windows still did not work.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If that fuse wasn't blown, it doesn't matter. The problem is elsewhere.

Steve C.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer said that the harness under the dash was loose. He said he suspected that I was kicking it out with my left foot. Hopefully that's all that was wrong. *Crosses her fingers*

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Hmmmm sounds like BS to me .... intermittent shorts are hard to find... and a loose harness. On the radio not holding the presets there is useally a switched 12v wire that runs the radio when the car is on and a constant 12v wire that holds the memory (presets and clock) my .02 ... Good Luck with your new cat

Don

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
There is a yellow wire that comes out of the back of the radio, it goes to constant (unswitched) power. That will keep your presets.
Also, some radio installs are not too good and can pinch wires back there.
Kicking a harness loose sound unlikley. Sounds like he took aquote from the problem wheel after giving it a spin.

let us know what you find

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Spam
Maybe you should try and find a cougar member in your area and see if they can help, I noticed you mentioned 'crosses HER fingers", so you may be up against a chauvanistic dealer or mech.
Like the guys said it definitely sounds like an electric problem, otherwise maybe find a trustworthy auto-electrician who can help you out, but I don't know how that would affect your warranty, so check on that first. Alternatively do what I do, have a total freak out and refuse to move till they fix it once and for all, and ask for a write up on what they did.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
ditch the loser!

Spamicide,
don't bother with this lemon. Take it back and get a refund. It could cost you thousands in repairs once the dealer "proves" you've been kicking the dash. And at the least, you'll be out of a car frequently once they start trying to solve the problems. You don't need that. You need wheels. Gird up your loins and go forth into the dealership and demand a refund!
I bet someone here could hook you up with a nice classic cougar for what you paid for that rice-cat.:D
kraven

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has the car been hit? I've found that bodyshops don't have much time for scratching the paint off of metal where grounds are attached, and therefore they don't "ground". New cars have EXTENSIVE ground circuits. Check them all.

And maybe cougarshaman has a good point...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts