Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alternator not charging battery. Battery is new, alternator is new, voltage regulator is new.
All power is apparently coming from the battery. (only 25% charged when taken in for a check......car starts if jumped otherwise....no go)

Have wiring schematic for 68 Cougar. Current harness has orange wire (fld), thick black wire (battery) and one black with red stripe wire that attached to the engine block. Another thicker black with red strip also comes from the block and was attached to the 'Sta" terminal on the alternator. Is this correct for the XR7. I have no idea if the amp gauge is working.
Do any wires attach to the alternator terminal labeled "grd"?

My alternator harness looks like the one shown on the WCCC website.

What am I connecting wrong? What else should I check to see that my charging system IS working and charging the battery as it should?

Chris

·
Registered
384 Posts
Check the voltage regulator connector internal slide terminals for corrosion. I take an emery board for fingernails and break it into strips that can slide into those terminals. After a few in and outs I blow out with compressed air or pour acetone into the connector.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Is it possibly a battery ground problem, not the post connector but the other end, to the engine?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok. soooooo. Does the black with red strip wire which comes from the engine ground go to the "sta" terminal of the alternator or does it go to the "grd" terminal. Looks like the wiring for alternators with a "light" is different from a car with "gauges".

Any direction here?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The stator terminal on the alternator is an output post - not a ground. Usually it hooks up to things like electric chokes. You likely need to hook the block wire to the ground terminal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts