Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little problem with my -73 Cougar.The ammeter needle waves through the rpm-range and all lights are also dimming and brightening at the same interval. But when I turn (much) more electric load on,it stops. The alternator has been checked out and voltage regulator is new. I think that some wire(s) are leaking against ground (or each other) and next I´m trying to take fuses off one by one to find out which wires are leaking. Then I´m going to measure wires one by one with ohmmeter and that takes time, beer and nerves!! Does anybody had same kind of problems or good tips for me?
Artsi

·
Registered
110 Posts
sounds like you've got a little resistance in some of your wireing. how do the cables look. Look at the conections. see if they are corroded.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
The reproduction voltage regulators can sometimes cause the lights to flicker if they are not adjusted correctly. I'd get it checked

Mine has done this before and I am putting a solid state regulator under the repro case to get it to work properly and look standard

I'd also check to see that the engine is earthed properly and battery cables are good

1 - 3 of 3 Posts