Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was studying the pictures and drawings of the brackets for the 68 electric h/l conversion and I realized I will have to have them made. I am no metal fabricator and I want them done right. So, are there any metal fabricator types or skilled welders that could do this and want to make a few bucks. I have the pictures and drawings with the measurements. If not, anyone know where I would go to have something like this done? A machine shop maybe? I am in the Charleston SC area, so if anyone knows of a place here or even Atlanta that would be helpful.

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
Brackets

I used to work at a precision fabricator and stull have some good contacts there. Send me the particulars and how many we need to get and I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
You have Mail!:1poke:

·
Registered
885 Posts
How do the brackets for the 69-70 differ? Does anyone have schematics for this model?

Steve C.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
kirkm send em to me and i can make anything you like you can view in my gallery some of my work but what i specialize in is flat pattern layout and manufacturing from aluminum but can do it in many difrent types of materials.

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
Cougarguy;
If its aluminum then are you using a waterjet? If the brackets need to be aluminum, then that is THE way to go. If they need to be carbon steel or stainless steel, then I can get them laser cut. Just let me know, I'll help if I can.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
okay, but ya im using the waterjet and can cut anything up to five inches thick. plus i can bend anything he needs as well and save on some welding

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
OK just let me know if I can help. Seems like you got it under control.:)

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i did my 70 and 69 brackets in about two hours and they are made from 7075 and 2024 none of this crappy 6061 they push on the public as billet. that goes for most anyone i can help out when and if i can with any projects you may want and i come real cheap, i just charge for material and shipping. as long as im not to swamped i can help out. My only stipulation from now on is if i help you manufacture something it has to be made available for the general public free of charge. it can be freely posted and used to help better the comunity. i am also working on dashes for my 69 so as soon as i work something out i will post them for everyone to see.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The 69/70 brackets and the 67/68 are not quite the same as they mount differently in the cars. The 69/70s are longer as they have an attachement point at the bottom end that attached to the radiator support while the 67/68 get a plate welded to them to mount them in the headlight bucket. The brackets can be made out of light steel, anything stonger than 14 gauge is fine. Aluminum will work fine, but may require longer mounting bolts to account for the thicker material.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
actually bruce the types of materials which i use are much stronger than steel. 2024 and 7075 are much stronger than steel in the same thickness you can actually almost go half the size. most peoeple are familiar with the 300 or 5052 series aluminum. it is very soft malleable and good for making home projects as it will bend with a couple of welded pipes. the stuff i used to make mine need a 10 ton ram to bend it. if your able to get parts make sure it isnt 6061 or 5052 or 3031 as these series are incrdibly soft and structuaraly unsound as repair parts. now if your going to use it to make a painted dash well thats okay. plus i made the springs retainer out of 302 1/2 hd staineless which is harder than a wedding....... well it is a family site. anyhow point is that there are many diffrent hardess and fracture resistance aluminum out there available where you need to look. and if you want to polish that metal then 2024 polishes like chrome so does 7075 where as 6061 gives you a satin effect. okya metalurgy 101 is out for today.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Greg,

Must be nice to have access to those kind of tools and materials. I have to do all my design/fabrication work with hand tools, a 90A welder, and whatever steel I can find from the local shop.
I never considered polishing them, I was trying to make them look as OEM as possible, so making them out of aluminum or stainless would immediately show them as not original

Bruce

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Hey bruce what can i say,
most people dont have the ability or the knowledge or the machinery to do what i am able to do so i am spoiled. I enjoy it though and i am painting mine black for my own asthetics but if you are ;looking to polish the materials as listed do a much better job by far.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Greg,
You've got mail

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Marty

Marty,
I assume you already got the pictures of the brackets. Sorry I was unable to send them as I had to travel to Atlanta for my grandmother's funeral. Anyway, do you think you'd be able to fabricate something for me still and what would the cost involved be?

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
I'll send you a PM.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
KIRKM76 i will get back later today as i have some training i have to attend. so i havent checked my email yet.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
kirk i didn't recieve any email couyld you resend thanks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry Greg, looks like it got bounced. My address is [email protected] if I can't send for some reason

1 - 20 of 24 Posts