Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Electric fuel pump recommendations?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  hampus_sthlm 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a electrical fuel pump from summit (street & strip) installed which sounds like a drowning cat or worse. I've tried all kinds of rubber mounts and pads between every detail, but still it sounds awful...

Lately it's starting leaking to, so I'm considering getting a new one. Anyone have recommendations on a somewhat quite electric fuel pump with adequate flow for a mildly modified 351C with an edelbrock 600cfm carb (I have a regulator installed)?

Also, where do you guys mount your electric pumps? Mine is installed just in front of the tank, screwed through the trunk floor.

Thanks,
Hampus

#2 ·
Mine (Holley red pump) are installed on the back side of the tank and you are correct on the drowning cat sound! LOL Holley has a new line of fuel pumps taht are suposed to run much quieter - I haven't tried one out yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLK8QMbXDAU

#3 ·
I have a Holley Red pump too. It's mounted to a custom bracket in front of the tank. I only hear it when I hit the key and it turns on. Once the car is running, I never hear it over the Flowmasters.

#7 ·
Why not do away with the troublesome and unnecessary electric pump? A good Carter mechanical pump will support 600 horsepower. End of problem.

#8 ·
That's my solution as well. Back in the day I had a red Holley pump mounted on shock bushings and an outboard regulator up front, I hated it.

#10 ·
If your timing cover does not have provision for a pump - you could swap it out for one that does have it........ I guess it depends on how your fuel systme is plubed as well. If you ran something custom you might as well look for a quieter pump

#11 ·
I knew that. I didn't want to crack open the engine only for that reason since the engine was brand new at the time. And like I mentioned earlier, the sound of the pump doesn't bother me since I don't hear it over the exhaust anyway.

#12 ·
Biggest advantage to the electric is cool fuel. - no heatsoak issue at the track. I have a Carter electric and it whines like crazy.
And also, once started you can't hear the pump over the Magnaflow 3" exhaust :)

#13 ·
I will stick with an electric pump for many of the same reason as hero, and also for my limited know-how on converting back... :) And pretty much everything is custom in my ride.

I think the previous owner who built the engine was aiming for 500+Hp and went electrical for this reason (not saying I have those hp's).

Besides the sound I'm very pleased with my electric setup.

I will probably go with the Holley HP pump, will update with status when it's done (since it winter time here soon it will probably take some time before I have an update).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.