Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new Flex-a-lite 295 installed today... Word to the wise, this sucker is oversized by about 3", be prepared for a bit of custom fabrication.

That being said, it pulls 4600cfm of air and the car I sat the car idling in my driveway for 45 minute and it never went above 195 (Once I set the temp switch properly)...

Though there is some custom fabbing to do, the fan installs very easily. There's a plethora of brackets included to get it mounted. The wiring was straight forward and the kit was nicely complete with everything I needed to get the job done. I'm making up a 3" wide sheet of metal and painting it to fill the oversized section of the shroud, but other than that, nooooo problems...

Also got my B&M Supercooler installed. Lower my Tranny temps from 230 degrees to 185-190 degrees... Woohoo!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Great, now you can start driving it again and not selling it...

Bruce

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's going into the engine shop on Monday to gets the heads pulled and re-sealed to get rid of the blasted oil leak.... :mad:

Theeeeeeeeen I might drive it a bit more... But as soon as I do that, I'm going to be *****ing about the fact it's got no A/C... :)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
next big expense is a/c, hahahahahaha. If it wasnt for my little electrical fire, I wouldnt be getting an a/c set up (it comes with the dash and wire harness I need,lol).
Looks great Logan, did you get the rear main seal fixed already, I must of missed it.

Rick

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
AC is no big deal. There are enough places with kits today. Next excuse..lol..

Bruce

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
LOGAN
where did you get your electric fan from? I just bought a 24` 4 row radiator and would like to install the same fan as you got.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
885 Posts
Logan,

Is that a 24", or 20" radiator? I know the dimensions on the Flex-a-lite 220 were oversize for a 24" radiator. Spal makes a dual 11" setup which is just about dead on 24" across. Only puts out about 2800 CFM, though, and I wonder if it is enough at idle with the A/C on in 3 digit heat.

Steve C.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the SPAL Dual 11 puts out 3600cfm, which is enough flow for a stock, non-ac car...

Mine is a Flex-a-lite 295, which moves 4600cfm, but it 27inch's across. I had to make a trim plate to cover the extra 3 inchs to seal the shroud...

·
Registered
885 Posts
The local speed shop told me that the Flex-a-lite 220 would be able to handle my 351C A/C equipped '70. It sounds like you have other information, Logan. In such a case, it probably is better to go with to many CFM's than too little. But, your setup sure is WIDE!

Steve C.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
if i go to a speed shop n order a 295 what am i looking at in price?
thanks
pat

·
Registered
885 Posts
Logan,

BTW, I found the manufacturers spec. sheet (actually a PDF file) for the Spal dual 11" offering. It claims the output is 2780 CFM, or double the output of one 11" which is 1390 CFM.

Steve C.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could've swore it was more than that... Ah well... 2780 isn't enough air flow. Any electric under 3800cfm will have a hard time with a V8 on A/C... I don't care what any speed shop says... Been there, done that.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
will the CFMs that this one be able to drop a non a/c v8 cars temperature?
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, at that point, it'd be up to the termostat in the car. It'd allow you to probably run a bit colder of a thermostat yes. Or operate in alot hotter conditions than you'd normally be able to.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
dont care for length size after seeing n hearing how it did cool your car`s temp down i`m going w/ it.
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
well. 459.95 was a price tag i got never thought it be that much. Gonna have ta eat my words n pass on it for now until i can get the loot up. Sure looks like a good setup but got other prodjects to work on. Oh yeah MARK P (firsteliminator) get ready bud the end of this year were doing a AOD swap in the vert.
thanks
pat

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
nice install logan. have you tried it sitting at idle for a long period of time?

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
way kewl to know had some problems with the ranchero in high sit conditions and scared as heck to be ideling with the bird it gets hot real quick.

·
Registered
91 Posts
:1poke: I'll have post a photo of my elec,fans on my 70 xr7 duel fans looks almost fac. the ol temp gage rarely see's 195-200 even running it hard and then sitting for a while,,,,,got my fans from a friend how gave them to me came out of a 1989 ford taruse (aka) the deerslayer need I say more .do what you like but $400 vers $10-15 from a yard :grin34:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts