Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My electric fan isn't turning on like it used to. I can get the water temp to 210 and my fans wont turn on, but when I'm cranking the motor over they turn on and as soon as the motor starts and i let off the key they turn off. I have a dual relay setup with the stick in probe. I haven't changed anything in the wiring so I dont know what could have happened.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sounds like the power wire from the "run" circuit has fallen off. Check and see if the connection on the back of your ignition switch is still putting out power (Which it should be, if the car is running). If that has power, then the wire you have running to your relay is broke/burnt.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a new hayden 3652 controller and cant get that one to work either. I'm about to just wire the fan to a manual switch, but i really dont want to. I have followed the instructions and dont understand why it doesnt work.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Are you taking a power feed off the coil or off the ignition circuit. Sounds like you are loosing voltage to the relays after the vehicle starts. Run a jumper lead direct from the battery to the +ve connections to the relay of the hayden and see if it works

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got the new controllet to work. I had over crimped the ground wire and had the 12 volt power to the starter cable side of the solenoid. Moved it to the battery side and it works now. All I have to do now is wire up a second relay for the other fan. My fan pulls 50 amps total and is 4000 cfm hY

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
50 amps!? Wowsa - that's a lot of juice? Definately want to use a relay rated for that (25 each then?), and I'd also stick to using the thermal switch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I have a 30 amp relay for each. My alternator with underdrive pullies hates me. This was the po doing. Someday I plan on a different fan and alt setup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts