Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys and girls. ii am doing the fabrication work to get my radiator, condensor ,and mark8 cooling fan mounted. i have a huge issue! the mark 8 fan is 6.5 inches and the distance i have after cutting the radiator hoop. from the rad core to teh water pump snout is 4 inchs.
one of the ideas i have is to mount the fan between the condensor and the radiator, being its a puller i dont think that work very well. i have looked at summit . they list fans that are 4 inch thick and reversable. however i think the largest they offer for a single is ,500 cfm. i dont think thats large enough for my 347/auto with air?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-119/

pictures to follow later

·
Registered
307 Posts
jk69cat pm me .I ran a radiator shop for 2.5yrs, I'll give you my Phone# we'll get this little deal worked out,Dave.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
How big is your radiator? I have a 24 inch radiator on mine with 2 24" fans. Cant remember the cfm rating on them but I think they are 1700 each.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Just make certain you run it through a relay. Wiring direct isn't a good thing, for sure. Painless offers some nice pieces for such, there are others as well.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
forgot the measurements

core to pump snout 3 3/4
core to condenser 1 3/4
core to latch bracket. 2 3/4 at the top 1 3/4 at the bottom
yes i have relays to control what ever fan ends up in here

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and dave i pm'd ya!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sorry, meant 12" fans. Looks like you have more than enough room to use a setup like I did.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mike you got a picture of how yours are?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
There is one on page 12 of my build thread, link in my sig.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how thick is your radiator? and whats the height of the 1 shroud 2 the fans? i have a cut to fit shroud for this radiator, i would have to take a ton of height out of it, but that could work do you remember what cfm the fans are? your not running climate control correct?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
btw i have to cut a part of that meier racing brace to clear my upper intake! i am going to cut 1st then decide how to go about it. i think the hood and hinges will have to be reinstalled for me to make the decsion

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
think i may have thi licked, following kooades build and his fabricated shroud, i have a shroud for this radiator! i think with some moddifcation i can combine the 2 and make it work.

dave ill still call in the am

justin

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just wanted to show you pics of what I did. These are 2 12"fans I believe, and they pull a lot of air in this setup, idles at thermostat temp in 100 degree heat on a overheating engine when I still had it running. Anyhow, here are the pics.

As you can see, there is only 4" there as well. All I did was have a machine shop use a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum and cut holes that matched the fans I gave them. They powdercoated it and it sits about 1/4" off the actual radiator. I also had them make a bung for the fan relay thermostat (kit I got from O'Reilly's) and had a tig welder weld it on for $20. Think the whole radiator, fan, shroud, thermostat relay ran me around $400.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Mine are rated at 1550 CFM, and pull quite a bit of air. I had one of my metal suppliers make the shroud out of .063 break metal. It has a half inch outward break, but gives about 5/8" of space between the fans and the fins. I am sure that I could get my guy to make more if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok i am thinking of doing something like kooade did, here is his fan

heres what i got

being the height of the fan, less the shroud section of it. it wil fit inside this metal shroud ihave. so i think if i open the front of the panel up. mount it inside i will have the clearance i need to make everything work

·
Registered
992 Posts
Verify that the fans turn in the correct direction when you are done. I did mine wrong 1st time & didn't notice. Simply reverse the wires if its wrong. Both leads on my fan were black and unmarked.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so guy, i forfitted for now. i have to do some seroius playing to 1 get the mark8 in the shroud. or 2 buy another pair of fans. which will be option 2. so for now and until its operational and isnt a money suckingpig. clutch fan via fox body it is!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts