Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a holly double pumper on my 302. The car has no choke at all. I live in CA and do not deal with temperatures below 30. It usually takes several turns of the ignition to get the engine started and I have to keep my foot on the pedal and rev to approx 1000 rpm to keep the car running for the first few minutes before it will idle on its own. After that it idles fine.

I was thinking of putting an electric choke on but am not clear on its function or if it is worth it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Dan,

I think you know a chokes function, it prevents you from having to do exactly what you just described! As for electric choke, sure! That is probably the easiest way to do it (in my opinion). See the sticky I pinned up in the tech section just the other day for information how to connect it (to alternator stator is my suggested method).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob. I was hoping a choke would cure this condition.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
This subject comes up numerous times here at cougar.net.
Here is what I did and it works fine.
Make sure the car ignition is off.
Take a voltmeter and on the back of the altinator there are 3 posts that are wired to the harness. The big one-ignore it. The other 2 are little. With the voltmeter grounded, take the red lead and find the post with NO current.(one will show 12v and the other '0') When you find the one with '0'v go back and turn the ignition on and touch the same post. It should read 12v now. That is the one you want to wire to the electric choke on your carb.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Craig see the other post, you made (and I responded to), that is not how the stator terminal works (unless of course by "ignition on" you mean "engine running").

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
With the altinator on the car it's hard to see the little STA. I just used my voltmeter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts