Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a 12V supply for my Holley Electric Choke. My first attempt connected to a 12V post on my alternator, but it is ALWAYS 12V, and my battery drains! There must be a simple solution. Help! I also recently experienced a run-away engine. Engine kept running while key was removed. I had to disconnect the battery. What was that all about?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Some electric chokes are fed by the stator wire from back of alt. This is factory way for 6/7 volts which is what they run on. Holley I dunno Catz ya

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You need a switched 12v power supply to the choke that is only on when the ign switch is in the run position. You didnt say what year car your working on but if it is like my 69 there isnt many spare wires or empty fuse box circuits to use. I dont remember how many amps the elec choke uses but you need to be carefull not to overload whatever circuit you use. I have been thinking of running another power supply lead into my car and adding another small fuse panel for adding asessories. It maybe a good idea to call holleys tech line to find out exactly how many amps the elec choke draws. You may want to install a relay to keep from overloading whatever circuit you decide to use. A relay has a strong power supply run to it and uses a lower amprage power wire run to it to activate it. Do not use the power lead to the coil !!! I know this isnt the detailed answer you were looking for but its the best I can do off the top of my head without looking at it. As far as the engine running with the switch off, it can only run that way because somthing is shorted and feeding juice back to the ign. You need to trace that down and might be whats draining you battery. It could possibly be a bad ign switch if you cant find anything else. Its not real common but it dose happen.mm

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My 69 suffered from the keyless ignition problem. Had to pull the coil wire to kill the engine. Turns out it was the starter solenoid on the right fender well that was sticking. Once I relaced that it was fine.:)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
That sounds feasable as one of the smaller wires is used to feed a direct 12 volts to the coil for easier starting. It is supposed to disengage when the key is released. I bet you lost some miles from a set of points with a full 12 volts running to them all the time.mm

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used the post off the starter solenoid - not one of the battery ones, but the front small posts that bring 12V to it. That is key on 12V since it starts the car (doh!)

Maybe I was missing something in my ignorance, but it worked fine for years on my car .....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You lost me there. What did you use the small post for? I dont know what you coul use them for as they only have juice to them as long as the key is in the start position. The one closest to the stud that the batt hooks to only recives 12v from the ign switch while it is in the start position while the other one is only energized during the same time to provide a full 12v to the points for better starting as the points run on only about 6v during normal operation. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. mm

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Because the brown wire at second terminal (I) is connected to points and also sends 12V to points when solenoid is activated by red/bue (S) wire from key therefore the 7 or so volts the points run on is constant at the brown wire once the key is released from the start position.I hope this explains the connection between solenoid and points. It is still in my opinion not a good place to get power for a choke from for simple reason of amp draw. Is best again in my opinion to get power from Stator terminal white and blk wire on back side of the alt or could pick up from reg but I prefer alt as was way it was done in 70s.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Your right, I didnt think about the point voltage backfeeding and that explains how he got juice from the terminal. mm

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good feedback because I admit, I never checked for the "amount" of voltage. It never occured to me until recently. I just put a new Holley carb on another car and the directions now explicity say to look for a good 12V source since many are not 12V and they specifically say not to use the points wire.

That being the case, how about the wires to electrical connections like the wipers? Can you tap into that at the firewall?

Although I do like the alternator ... so the white wire on the alternator only carries 12V with the car on?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
White and blk wire carries 7 volts or so I believe when alt is turning .I am thinking that if you used a switched relay ,switched from white wire back side alt to connect 12V to Holley choke when alt is turning.You could get relayed 12 from battery with a fuse and will only get power if alt is turning.I do not recomend using a power source such as wipers heater etc. Again to much draw. Set up its own circuit if you can Catz ya:)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Chad check this out

check out this thread...
Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts