Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just bought a 4160 holley with electric choke. Straight out the box and on the 351 W. Hooked the choke power to the existing choke power line. It started up fine...but hmm the choke didnt open...I checked the power line to the choke...showing power...ran for a while and still no open. i opened the throttle plates by hand and revved the engine and they stayed open and car idled down and purred...then i hit the gas again and the plates closed and idle went back up. checked ground and it was ok...grounded to carb...dont know much about chokes...but it seems like maybe something is stuck...checked to see but couldnt see anything...but then i think if something was stuck i prob couldnt do it by hand....dont know and lost. whatever position i manaulally hold the throttle plates open to and hit the gas it stays there..then i hit the gas again and its goes back to the inital start up closed position.....any ideas? thanks in advance...called holley and they said. 1 its not getting a 12v 2. its not grounded 3. its not adjusted...one of those.....multimeter said yes 12v....ground said yes...and tried adjusting cap to leaner like they said and no luck...so i put it back to normal and got on the web....sorry so long....

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
One of these solved all of my holley problems:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am pretty sure that the existing power line does not supply a full 12 V. you need to hook it to the stator on your alt.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was scrolling down to see what solved your problem and fell out over the pic
Lol. Too funny. I will try the stat tomorrow and post back. Thanx

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello all...got home and hooked it up to the stat terminal and it worked like a charm...thanx........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts