Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys
I have an elec problem. I started my 67, let it warm up, put it in gear & applyed brake & engine cut out. So I started it again, left it in park ,tapped the brake & engine quits. I have manual brakes, no vac leaks, replaced volt reg, tested alt,works good, but if engine is running, pull off pos terminal engine quits. Oh ya engine running, open door, engine quits. I would really love some help with this one. any suggestions ?:confused:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
That is Bizzzar. its like the coil is grounded out when anything is electrically energized. Bizzaro. On the pulling the bat cable, the engine might need to be at a little higher RPM first, it was like that on one my old cars, it might have been the old 67 tang.
Ill check my old notes and ask around on the engine kill.
what else kills it?

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
if you are running the engine and you pull the positve cable and everything dies you have a bas alternator same as it quits everytime more load is putt on it such as door lights or lights inside even the radio may make it quit you car is primarily running on the battery from the sounds of it. How many volts are you getting off the alternator while it is running you should be getting 13 to 14 volts if your getting 12 thats not enough to run everything. Course others may have a better aproach or idea but i would start with the alternator first. also check your battery a dead cell can cause these problems but the alterator should still be able to run your car while disconected from the battery.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yep, like cougarguy said. Pull bat cable off and engine dies = bad alt and/or bad battery. Can't think of anything else right now. Give that a try thumper and get back to us.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
altinator

Hi guys
Lots of good advise there, but I took the alt into an auto elec shop & had it tested, it's fine. I also put a new volt reg on to. So that is not the problem. Any other guesses?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Same thing here. But in my case it was on my old '65 Tbird where it was a bad Voltage Regulator. Takes alot of juice to illuminate all 6 tail lights..... Replace your voltage regulator and alternator as a set. If you replace just your alternator without replacing the voltage regulator (or vice versa).....
It will just be a matter of time before the other dies and lets you sit again....

My $.02 worth

D

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Sounds like what cougarguy said... but if it tested good????You have to running off the battery if it dies with the POS cable off, perhaps the alt is not up to spec at idle speed. Try revving up the motor and try the brakes. you might also check the wiring between the regulator and the alt. This is a strange problem, however i had a shop test an alt for my bronco a few years back and they swore it was good (same type of problem) I went to the junkyard a paid 20.00 for a used one and it worked great.... That was back it my frugal days.... I don't think I would do that today. anyway....my.02

Don

·
Registered
794 Posts
did you have the battery load tested? It can meter out the correct voltage but still not maintain it under a draw.

Sounds like a combo of bad battery and or incorrect wiring at regulator.

·
11,000 Posts
Don't ever do that

The old bonehead trick of pulling the battery cable with the engine running is a good way to fry the diodes in an alternator. Do not ever do this. It tells nothing about the charging system except that the person performing this trick does not possess knowledge to be working on charging systems.

You need to use a voltmeter and measure voltage at the battery terminals as follows:
1. With the engine off
2. With the engine idling
3. With the engine at 2500 RPM

You should get:
1. 11 - 12 volts
2. 13 volts
3. 14 - 15 volts

Royce Peterson

·
11,000 Posts
So....

What did you get?

Royce Peterson

·
Registered
698 Posts
Engine quits

Everyone always checks the positive side of electrical problems.
You also need a ground. Hook a jumper cable to the negative side of the battery and ground it to the engine, and then check it.
Also make sure your ground strap is hooked up from the firewall to the back of the passenger head. I know a fellow who did a valve job on his 1968 Shelby,couldn't keep it running and was told he had a short in his wiring harness. He changed the complete harness at a large cost and found the problem was still there. Then he found that he forgot to hook his ground strap to the head. Hooked it up and everything was fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AHHH HAAA
I found the probelm. The wire that goes from the alt to the starter selonoid to charge the battery was broken right off inside the jacket, so you couldn't tell. Fixed it & all works good now.
Thanks for all the support guys. Have a great day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts