Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with the wireing of an underdash mounted 8 track player. I can find no stamped numbers on this unit it, does have 7c40b28b01 on the side in very small letters, not at all what you normally see on radios of this vintage. I have searched al the Ford wireing books from 67 to 73 and find no reference to an underdash unit. This unit has two four wire plugs and three wires that have apparently been cut. One plug has three male (yellow,red,black) and one male (orange). The other four prong plug has three female (green,purple,white) and one male (black). The three cut wires are black (2) and purple. I am at all sure why this unit would have so many plugs. I'm sure some are ground (unit and speakers) power, and speaker and then maybe connection to the radio for the amplifier? Any way all help is apprecieated. Thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but that doesn't help, that diagram is the Ford electrical and is the indash stereo tape, I've delt with that one often. It is almost the same for 67 thru 73 with some minor changes in the plug configuration. It shows the two leads in for power (one is the light and the other is the radio power, same plug) The other one is the three leads (one left, one right and two wires into the one prong for the ground of both speakers) This under dash unit has two four prong and three additional wires. I can not find it in any Ford Lincoln or Mercury wire schematics. The unit does have the Ford oval and 12v neg on the cover. But thanks for the reply.

·
11,000 Posts
Post a picture of the connectors on your tape player and I will tell you where each wire connects.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I'm working on that as I figured someone would know, I just have to find a helper so please bear with me!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope this works, two cameras, three computors later we are still trying

·
11,000 Posts
You can email the pictures to me and I will post them. roycegte at earthlink dot net

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
yeah, I'm curious, cuz I can't find anything with another connector? I doubt anything that vintage would have an amp out? What did it come out of? Try hooking it up snd see if tyou have voltage on those first, if not - then see if there is audio if you have an old speaker you can use.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'll just stick to typing and letters via the good old mail system, If I could just find film for my Kodack. LOL, Royce I have tried to send you the pics but they won't go thru. All I get is delivery status failed. I"ll kep trying when I get some more help. Badcat , that was the problem I found no diagrams at all for the underdash unit. I am sure it doesn't have an amp out but I wasn't sure but the player is using the radio amp. As the player belongs to my boss (Don Rush) I guess I better wait till I get a diagram before I hook up anything. Thanks all!!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Here is a closeup of the wires from this hang0n 8 track unit.

·
11,000 Posts
It does not look like the wiring from the factory '67 - 70 under dash 8 track unit. Here's a picture of the correct unit for your car:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is excactly what it looks like. Scott did some research on the one we have and we found the numbers that were supposed to be on it. The unit we have has the built in reverb, so I am assuming that is what the extra wireing is for. We have a NOS reverb with the foot control that was over the counter from Ford so I checked that harness and it is different and I assume that is because it runs off the radio and only reverbs the rear speaker(uses the optional fader and speaker). I didn't bring home the numbers but I remember it is T7 something MH. But thanks for staying with us!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts