Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with the alternator upgrade finished and the interior going back into the car, I'll be looking for my next project soon. What I am starting to look at is adapting some form of EFI to the car. The Ford 5.0 system looks good, but a bit complicated to hook up. As this is my daily driver I am considering a GM TBI system off of a 350. I am just beginning to research this, but It looks pretty straight forward. Don't know if the 350 ECU is my best choice for the 302, but I have heard they can be programmed. Also heard that the 4.3, 5.0, and 5.7 systems are the same. At any rate, I don't think it would be much of a performance or mileage gain, if any, so much as a driveability improvement for my daily driver. The setups are a dime a dozen and from what I have found will bolt to my intake with an adapter. If anyone knows these systems, or the ford setup for that matter, I'd be interested in opinions. Also got some free 15 inch wheels (steel) for free and some hubcaps that look just like my 14 inch ones. I would have liked to get some aluminum ones, but the price was right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Go with the ford 5.0l, it's not that hard with a good wiring diagram. I put an 87 mustang in mine, then converted it to mass air. Go to my site radcat68.tripod.com no www click on the galleries. I have a few pic on my gallery here under radcat & radcat68. If you have any tech questions let me know.
Brian

·
Registered
885 Posts
I agree with Brian. EFI is actually a huge advantage. Definitely better mileage and lower emissions, but it doesn't mean more horsepower in stock form. If you're interested in more go, you can find aftermarket performance modules. See http://www.jetchip.com (as one example). The advantage of EFI over a carbureted engine becomes evident as soon as you drive up to the ski slope.

Steve C.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian,
So you went with a complete EFI engine. I have a lot invested in my motor and was going to bolt the EFI to mine. That's why I figured the GM deal would be easier. It seems that you can run it sort of dumbed down where it just manages the fuel/air mixture and what not. I could keep my MSD distributor and ignition. Like I said, all I'd seemingly have to do would be bolt the throttle body up, wire it up with the 3 or 4 sensors It needs, and off I go. Fuel system mods would be necessary, but I thought they would be less extensive with the GM setup as pressure is lower. Now you could help me here. What did you have to do to your fuel system to run the ford setup and how much was it to do it? Also, did you use the wiring from a donor or go with an aftermarket harness. I had always heard the Ford ECU was more involved than the GM ECU and required more sensors . I do know that it's a better setup though and if it's not cost prohibitive I'd go with it. I can get the whole GM deal for a hundred bucks though which makes it tough to pass up since I'm not looking for any more power, just driveability.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Dont bother with the TBI. You might as well go for a good quality carb instead.

I am in favor of the Ford EFI, as it is a multi-port injection system that is a hell lot better than the TBI. If you are interested to learn more to see if you feel comfordable with the EFI install get the book "Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control" By Probst.

CLICK HERE FOR BOOK

You can pick up a used EFI setup from a 89-93 stang for cheap on ebay or something.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
uh.... The GM system works the same as the Ford in the respect of what it controls. The GM system uses a different style pickup in the distrubiter and a different control style put it has complete control of the timming and distrubitor functions. It also has functions for EGR,Smog pump, Evap. It would take TONS of custom work to get the GM system to work. The Ford system would be much easier. I converted mine about two years ago to a 5.0/AOD. Best thing I ever did, I think I have some Pics around here somewhere. The last Mustang EFI wire harness I converted for a 68 Mustang took about four hours, and I was also watching Happy Gilmore on TV during two of those hours..... It really isn't that hard once you fiqure it out.
Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts