Mercury Cougar Owners banner

EFI wiring harness, and fuel lines

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  yeloxr7 
#1 ·
Hey guys once again I am here to ask more questions, thanks to all those who have helped me so far...I really appreciate it!!!

I am in the middle of placing a 89GT EFI motor and T5 in my 67 cat and want to know what the best aftermarket wiring harness is out there? I have found a few different companies that offer them and they all say theirs is the best. I have read many different forums and cant seem to find what I need to know.

Same thing with the the fuel lines, I just purchaced a T-REX 50/70 inline fuel pump and need some suggestions on the best route to install the fuel lines. I think that 5/16 lines will be suffecient, I need to know where to purchace push-locks and lines from... I hear that it is best to run hard lines. Does it really matter if the lines are nylon or steel?

Any suggetions will be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone.

#2 · (Edited)
Pick a harness. The leading makers are all basically the same.

I would use 3/8 line. don't forget you'll likely need a return if you're keeping the efi. Obviously you are. Route them down the frame rails much the same as the stockers. You can even pass them through the frame if you make a hole and then weld a short piece of tubing to brace the frame. Though I wouldn't recommend that if you plan on beating the car.

It is best to run hard lines. that fuel is under a lot of pressure. That is not the place to get cheap or take a shortcut. Use steel. Buy a tubing bender if you don't have one. And, not a $5 one. A good one from Mac or maybe Cobalt. Any seams in the line should be in easy to access places, as should your filter. And, put a filter between the tank and pump, if you're using the original tank.

#3 ·
you can get the stock connector ends form a ford dealer whos parts dept has a clue and a hardware book . or at carquest /napa. in the repair section area. if your staying stock i would run stock size lines. this harness isnt cheap, but its perfect
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9631 i am going to run this in my car

#5 ·
well, just keep reading up on the swap and do what others have done. Don't complicate your swap with too many add-ons or mods. Get it running and driving well, then decide if you want to tear back into it.

It's a pretty straightforward swap though. You'll really enjoy the final product too. An older cougar with the EFI engine is like the best of both worlds.

If I had more sense I'd have done that to mine 15 years ago and probably had a much easier life tripping around the country in my cat.

#6 ·
well, just keep reading up on the swap and do what others have done. Don't complicate your swap with too many add-ons or mods. Get it running and driving well, then decide if you want to tear back into it.

It's a pretty straightforward swap though. You'll really enjoy the final product too. An older cougar with the EFI engine is like the best of both worlds.

If I had more sense I'd have done that to mine 15 years ago and probably had a much easier life tripping around the country in my cat.
mines probally a bit overkill but it will oh so much fun!

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.