Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have to know right now wether or not a cougar can have EFI (electronic fuel injection) and if it can have that, do i need to add a ECU? (that's electronic control unit). AND has anyone ever had a problem with suspension before in the back and front. i had 2 people sitting in the back of my '68 and almost every bump was like i was bottoming out, but i was accually hitting the wheel well with my tire. so my assumption is the shocks. Anyone that has any advice/input/a good word......i'll take it.
Check this story out. i just came back from a car show in downown flint, my car was the only one left in the place that wouldn't start. after 5 or 10 minutes of praying and turning, it started. after that, i was embarassed as can be. i just left and didn't follow the cruise they had going on. they had some cool cars though :) mostly low riders and hydrolics and if not those then they had a stereo to cover up the natural muscle sound of a car. i think i saw a duster, it was pretty cool.
And no i won't seel my car. I'm only 17 and i have another 71 years of life to cruise around in my car.

I'll check back just post,
David

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
David

There are a couple of options for fuel injection - install a unit of a 5.0 engine or use a Holley projection set-up. You can also go to Haltech if you want hi-po or race setup.

All EFI need an ECU of some sorts.

Bruce Hable is documenting installation of 5.0 unit in a 69 through the Classic Cougar Network (TCCN)

I like the thought of having an injected unit in a daily driver.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
bottoming out

David

Both my 68 and 70 will bottom out with two people in the back. The problem is springs not shocks - the 68 has brand new gas units

I'd check to make sure that you have the rubber bump stops on the axle.

Unfortunately the only real cure is new springs, although I have a set of coil over shock units in the rear of my 69 which helps overcome the problem. You need to strengthen the floor between the chassis rails if you want to take this route

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The EFI swap is ok, but best left to someone with some experince. I just noticed while browsing through a JC Whitney cataloge that they offered a complete wireing harness for a 5.0 swap. But that still dosnt address the fuel pump issue which could be quite invloved with a high pressure pump and return lines involved. And It still would need the computer and the late model electronic ign and dist.I think if a person wanted EFI on his early cougar the best way would be to get the whole motor, computer etc from a wrecked car. The later 5.0 run much better any way with the roller cams, but then you are saddled with all the pollution equipment too. Also a late model 5.8 I think hooks up all the same and would be my choice. I dont really know about the holley setup but I think it might be the better way to go. After all the trouble and money I just went through getting my 5.8 89 f250 to run right I think for the money spent on a eldlbrock mainifold, carb,cam kit and a good electronic ign upgrade would make you very happy with a lot less trouble and expense. Just for the record shocks only control a springs movment. If your botteming out, your car needs new leaf springs. I just helped put a new set under my brothers 69 mach 1 last weekend and he only put out like $ 170 for the complete kit with springs, shackles, u bolts and all. But of course you still will want to but new shocks on all the way around as new springs and shocks on the rear will make weak shocks in the front bounce worse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

i have the rubber stops on the back of the car and so i guess, my solution would be not to drive around any people in the back. :) too bad for them i guess. the EFI and ECU might still be a possibility, except i don't really have time or pateints to go look for a junkyard motor and put that one in. But it's a good idea to keep in mind for a rainy day. I'll be starting college almost as soon as i get out of high school. So, that's probably the time where the cougar will just sit until i get a house of my own. thanks for the information i needed though guys.

-David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts