Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a chance to do an EFI swap a lot sooner than I had ever planned. I have been researching the process for some time now and have a few concerns. I was hoping some members could give me some pointers and tell me about any pitfalls so that I can do this as painless as possible. Although I have many concers, my biggest concern right now is the wiring kit. The only place I know to get one is from Ron Morris and it's somewhere around $850! I was told that I could attempt to convert the existing wiring harness but that it is very complicated/involved. Does anyone have any input as far as that goes? Anyone know where to get a conversion kit cheaper?
Thanks in advance.

By the way, the motor is coming out of '87 mustang and I have access to everything (wiring, mounts, etc.). I can use any one of three tranny's that I currently have: a C4, the AOD in the Mustang, or a 4 speed toploader. I would like to get my hands on a T-56 or a T-5z but hey, I am happy with what I got for now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You can get a lot of the swap part, including wiring, from windsor-fox (www.windsor-fox.com). I believe their kit is $650 and comes with pretty good instructions. They will also convert and label a wiring harness for you if you send it to them and that is even cheaper yet. I think ford racing makes a "hot-rod" harness and Painless Wiring might make a kit too.

I "know a guy" that can do the wiring for me so I'm having him wire mine. He is the same gut that is building my motor.
Mine is an automatic so I'm using the AOD. The C4 would work good to, but I want the Overdrive.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah Painless makes one, but I think they're one of the more expensive places to get harnesses from.

What's the difference in the T5 and the T5z tranny? my 86 GT 5.0 has the borg warner world class T5 in it..

Robert

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was talking with a Mustang guy that I know and he explained to me that the T-5z is the Cobra tranny. Supposed to be geared differently but I don't know for sure. He just informed me that the T-5z would be a really good tranny to get if I had the opportunity. I am trying to find out more about them at this time as that was the first I had ever heard of theT-5z.

By the way, thanks for the sources cougar_68!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Very informative links!

Has anyone out here done a swap like this (using T5, T5z, or T56)? Anyone done it starting with an auto (C4, Merc-o-matic, FMX, etc?)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have done this swap. Actually I did it this summer. I started out with a C-4, and now I have a t-5 tranny. The parts are out there and it can be done. There are threads on here with this info already. If anyone has any questions, send me an email.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great sites dfw. Thanks for posting them. Really allowed me to understand what my buddy was trying to explain, makes much more sense now.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you arent comfordable with reading a wiring diagram and modifing the harness yourself, you are gonna have to fork out some cash.

If you want to do it yourself, get the book " ford fuel injection & electronic engine control" by probst.
It has a grip of useful info for the swap including wiring diagrams.

CLICK HERE FOR BOOK

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here's the deal, if you get the complete harness from the Mustang I can set it up for you. The wirring is pretty easy, I did this to mine last year. I just did one for a 67 Mustang with a 90 Mustang engine. It is much easier and cheaper then most people think. I live near Lake Arrowhead above San Bernardino. I get down near Orange Co pretty often and Oceanside fairly often. I can hook you up, shoot me an Email if you are interested and I'll send you my phone number. [email protected]
This is my "other" playtoy www.geocities.com/gocartmg
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts