Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Converting to a Holley Sniper EFI. Any advice on how and where to run the return fuel line? Getting a new tank with in-tank pump. Also I'm planning on reusing the original line from the tank after cleaning it out unless someone recommends that the 50+ year old original line should be scraped. BTW, '69 Standard convertible, 351W 4 speed. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ran a return fuel line exactly mirrored to the feed line on the passenger side. With that said, are you sure you need a return line with an in-tank fuel pump? I had an external pump and that required a return line, but when I upgraded to an in-tank pump the return line was no longer needed.
I also installed a new metal fuel line and upgraded all hose connections to high pressure fuel line and appropriate clamps. If you keep the original fuel line you will need to change out the rubber hose sections with proper high pressure fuel lines and clamps.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One more thought...
The fuel line section in the engine compartment was converted to flexible EFI rated fuel line since the connection was different then with the stock carburetor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One more thought...
The fuel line section in the engine compartment was converted to flexible EFI rated fuel line since the connection was different then with the stock carburetor.
Converting to a Holley Sniper EFI. Any advice on how and where to run the return fuel line? Getting a new tank with in-tank pump. Also I'm planning on reusing the original line from the tank after cleaning it out unless someone recommends that the 50+ year old original line should be scraped. BTW, '69 Standard convertible, 351W 4 speed. Thanks!
i put a sniper on my cougar also - I used the holly "early mustang" pump that goes inside a stock fuel tank sender hole and does NOT use a return line because the pressure regulator is built into the unit. it will work with the 65-66 16 gal tank all the way to the 69-70 20 gal tank. ( they all fit in the same place just the part inside the trunk is taller) I used the 20 gal tank on my 67 cougar 460 motor for the extra capacity. sending unit is built in also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not completely sure about the need for a return line because I do not actually have the new tank yet. Orders are way backlogged (went thru Summit), the 22 gal Tanks Inc EFI tank I ordered are not being shipped until May. Had to trash the original tank, tons of debris inside, not worth saving. Also waiting for the Sniper unit itself to be shipped. I was trying to get everything else done while I wait for the new tank. I assume high pressure fuel line is available at NAPA, etc?
Thanks jayco59 and hardwork!

·
Registered
8 Posts
For high pressure fuel line, just ask for EFI rated fuel line and clamps, it is NOT cheap.
EFI system pumps push the fuel at ~60 psi, while the original carburetor fuel pumps pull from the tank and pushed at just a few psi (something less than 8 psi, not sure of the exact pressure) from the engine mounted pump to the carb.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can buy the Sniper system that returns right in the tank unit it doesn't need a return line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts