Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to figure out the best way to install a 89 5.0(with EFI) and T5 tranny in my 67 cougar. if anyone has any suggestions on

--headers- long vs short and/or brands? (it is man. steering)?

--any easy or universal wiring harnesses(priced easy that is)?

--inline fuel pumps or in tank(if I can find a tank with pump in it)?

--can I use my tank to run a return into?

--aftermarket hoods(looking for a cowl hood if there is and, dont want the scoop just something a little different)?

--tire sizes(wanting to put on 18's -classy rod, not ghetto) width that is?

--lowering car so that tires sit in fenders alittle?

--gauges- will a 67 or 68 gauge seat fit in the cougar so I can have my tach and speedo as well as gas,oil and temp in dash?.

--I also need a new dash pad and cover- affordable that is.

--rear disc brake ideas(already installed my front ones)?

--wanting to figure out how to put on an electric motor to open headlamps, dont wanna have to deal with the vaccuum system.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...Thanks
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
780 Posts
Use shorty headers or Tri-Y if you are adding a T-5 with a cable clutch kit. You will have to get O2 sensor bungs welded in 3 inches back from the collectors on them as well. Most long tube headers do not work well with the clutch cabel kits as I have burnt into a couple Ron Morris cables on mine already.

I found that 18x8 in the rear and 18x7 in the front is really cutting it close on a 67 and 68. Best fit is 17`wheels for this year other wise you have isses with turning radius.

Lots of Ford 8 and 9`rear disc kits around or even on Ebay (where I got mine, from ebay name Scarebird) It is a bracket that uses Cadillack Eldorado calipers and Celebrity rotors. Works awsome and cheap!

Electric motor for headlamps. Search the forums as there is a few people and an article about it on here.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
It sounds like you have a good plan. Just keep looking around here on MCnet to get it all figured out. There are a number of us that have either done or a re-working on updated restomods with everything you list in some form or another.

One thing, though, is that you won't find an aftermarket hood. Yes, it sucks a lot, but nobody is making anything new that I know of except http://www.usbodysource.com/, and it's only fiberglass, stock-looking and fairly expensive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your suggestions, I have restored a few cars before, but this is the first I have done any fuel injection on or this much "afteryear" none original work too.

Thanks again guys!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts