Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty I have a 1967 289 (rebuilt 30 over), flat top pistons, balanced, and a "high performance" cam. No information on these just have a receipt from a machine shop that did the owrk for the previous owner, I was going to contact them to get more info on what their specs were.

Up until this weekend I was running a Weiand 8011 intake and an edelbrock 1406 (600cfm) carb. I blew out the rear gasket for the intake while performing some high RPM operations (read redlight dragging) which resulted in a nice vacuum leak and plenty of oil blowing out on my tranny and headers. Never knew that Cougars came equipped with a handy smokescreen.

I chose this as a great opportunity to replace the Weiand with an Edelbrock Performer 289 intake. My intentions are to put together a complete Edelbrock performance package heads intake cam etc (my own personal preference).

After the Edelbrock was installed with no other modifications it seems that I lost some low-end torque off the line, but the midrange is and top-end are pulling like a raped ape. Previously I could power brake 2300-2500 and break the real wheels loose and get a good launch. Now it seems to bog down till it hits 2800+ then it starts pulling like mad. cruising at 10-15 MPH before in first I could punch it and feel a good kick now its more of grunt then a slow release kick.

Should I be experiencing this much of a change between the two manifolds? Anybody run these two intakes before?

Other specs:
C4 standard stall, 2.73 open rear. Everything else pretty much stock.

weiand
Weiand Stealth 8011 Intake Manifold

edelbrock
Edelbrock Performer 289

·
11,000 Posts
Power to the people

Between the two the Stealth is a much more modern design. Edelbrock's Performer RPM would have been a better choice yet, it has been proven to outperform the other two at any RPM level.

It's hard to get big increases out of a 289, just not many cubic inches to work with. You might think about saving up for a 347 stroker kit for your next modification.

Also noticed the rear end gears, a jump to a 3.25 or 3.50 rear axle would be very impressive. A better torque converter like TCI's break - a - way would help too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Royce,

Thanks for your reply.

You have outlined my plans almost exactly. I am currently in the process of building up the suspension and other goodies first though. Just resprung the rear, new shackles, bushings, large sway bar and shocks with new shocks and springs up front.

Brakes rebuilt front to rear, new master, drums, innards, brake lines. I preferred to stay with manual drums I like the feeling of doing a two foot stand on my brakes when stopping, keeps the quads in shape. But if the brake drums are tuned and have good shoes they stop just fine for me.

Export braced the engine already and ordering a new curved Monte Carlo.

Next step is going with a front end rebuild kit with new components and pieces parts (upper/lower control, drag, idler, pitman, bigger sway, perches etc)

I will be looking for a posi/limited pumpkin with somewhere in the range 3.50-3.75 for the rear.

Depending on finances then either engine or paint....

Engine currently has edelbrock performer intake and 1406 carb and hedman full length headers. Next steps will consist of Edelbrock heads and matching cam, roller rockers and pertronix/mallory ignition and distributor system. At the same time I plan on building a late model 5.0 block (easier to throw in roller cam and lifters) stroked 331-347. Electric waterpump. By the time the new engine is ready I would only have a weekend of downtime doing the conversion.

Tranny is currently c-4 and I will be upgrading the converter to a new stall 2000-2300.

There is definitely alot of fun work here and I have the time to do it right. My only condition is that I want my project car to be driveable 90% of the time while I am building it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts