Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am a new owner of a 69 cougar xr7 with a 351w engine in Austria. I want it to be a daily driver on sunny days with around 400hp.

Does anyone have experience with the edelbrock top end kits?
https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-rpm-top-end-kit-for-s-b-ford-2090.html

https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-rpm-top-end-kit-for-s-b-ford-2092.html

Do they keep the hp promises? Are they just plug and play? Or do I need to change anything else?

They have an offer that you get a carb for free if you buy one of these kits. Which one would you take?

Thanks
Manuel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

I am a new owner of a 69 cougar xr7 with a 351w engine in Austria. I want it to be a daily driver on sunny days with around 400hp.

Does anyone have experience with the edelbrock top end kits?
Performer RPM 451 HP Top End Kit for 1969-95 Small-Block Ford 351W Engines

Performer RPM 400 HP Top End Kit for 1969-95 Small-Block Ford 351-W Engines

Do they keep the hp promises? Are they just plug and play? Or do I need to change anything else?

They have an offer that you get a carb for free if you buy one of these kits. Which one would you take?

Thanks
Manuel
Manuel,
Did you ever get anywhere with either of these upgrades?
I have had my eye on these two "top-end" upgrades for a while, but I think it might be over my (mechanical ability's) head.
Thx,
Jay

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
My son installed the 400 hp kit on his 1970 W. The kit does work as advertised! But to answer your question, there are a few things extra you need to keep in mind (I'm saying this, because you didn't mention them in your post-). In order to enjoy the new build, you will need at least a 3.50 rear gear and preferably a locking rear end. Did you notice the 2090 kit uses a roller cam? That may require some small extra block work. Are you comfortable building a flat tappet engine? Today's oils are not the same as they used to be, you absolutely need to use a high zinc break in oil. The small container of additive just isn't enough. Also, is the transmission in the car in good shape? You will need to get the right length of push rods also. To really get the most out of the build, an overdrive trans and a 3.89 gear would be a hoot!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts