Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running a Performer RPM on their 289/302?
I got mine from Summit today and am starting to get concerned with hood clearance. I was hoping to run the factory air cleaner.
this manifold is a direct replacement for a 65/66 Shelby GT350
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am not sure if your factory air cleaner will work. Are your still running the spacer between the carb? I have a 2in. tall K&N filter on mine, with a regular performer manifold and no spacer. I have about 2 in. of clearence when the hood is down.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i forgot that you have a 2bbl... right?? if so that air cleaner will not work. if im not mistaken there are two tabs that help to align it onto the carb. those tabs will interefere with mounting it on the 4bbl. i might be wrong, but well, thats the reason i didnt mount the stock air cleaner on my car. if i find a factory 4bbl air cleaner ill be happy to help ya out though.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4V

Steve,
I have a factory 289 4V in mine. It will be close, I do not have a spacer between the carb and the intake. I need to do the measurements this weekend and calculate the height.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I had a RPM on my 351... I had to switch to the HiPo 2" tall air cleaner in order to clear the hood, and it cleared...Jusrt barely.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dropbase filter

Morosoe makes a great dropbase air filter that comes in many colors of anodizing oh yeah and chrome, but they claim it adds 10 horse over no filter at all. I am running a weind stealth intake on mine and it fits, barely but it does fit. Its fgot a 3'"element too!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
351 vs 302

The 351 has a taller deck height than a 302, right?
I am probably the only one to run a factory air-cleaner, but I am trying to keep the "stealth" stock look.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't think you should have much of a problem.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think you 'll be alright. I had a Victor Jr intake on my 302 with a 1" spacer, holley 650 and a 3" air cleaner and it still fit. Ok it was close, but it still fit!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hood Clearance

If I were you I would just cut a large hole in my hood and forget about how it looks. You know the intake will probably give you an additional 20-30HP so it seems worth it, right?

Just kidding!
Garey, If you need help measuring the intake let me know because you know I have all the trick tools to do that. I'll call you later today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts