Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be on major toy store shelves in Sept 2011. Johnny Lightning and myself have put together a 1/64 scale Boss 429 Schartman Cougar. Only 5000 to be made. One time deal. 18 month marketing program. To keep informed on our Boss 9 build please visit the Facebook Schartman page. Here is a sneak preview.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/280417496317/ toy2.JPG

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes correct that is only because the 70 body takes new licensing and body castings making it cost prohibitive. Even packaging could not reference "1970". This was the only way to make it happen so we did....... Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doug pkg (1).jpg Here is packaging front......

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Awesome, I am going to have to look for this one. Are they going to be exclusive to any particular store? or will I be able to pick them up at Wally World?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the USA only Major Toy stores and ToysRus. Not available in Walmart.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Sorry, but I'm not interested in a 1967 Boss 429 Cougar (something that never existed). I guess I would have insisted that it had to be done correctly, as a 1970 model, or not at all. Johnny Lightning did do the 1970 Cougar 1:64 cars previously (eliminators), so they do exist out there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry you feel that way Scott. As the old saying goes can't please everyone.... Johnny Lightning currently doesn't have licensing for a 1970 Cougar. Being belligerent and insisting things be certain ways to manufactures is usually why things don't happen and or don't get done. We as humans being dictators usually prove to be out for only personal gain. I'm not that way. We were more than pleased with what we have offered to us for FREE. A great marketing tool for the Schartman build. No I am not overjoyed that the body lines are wrong and it has vent windows. But it is what it is. And I am pleased. My opinion is "something is better than nothing". Especially when it's given to you ! Thanks Johnny Lightning.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
So wondering what is the actual deal is here? Even though JL has made both 70 and 69 cougar models (in whatever config, Elim or not) in the past, they cannot make any new ones without having Ford licensing issues? Do I have this correct?

BTW, thanks for making anything Cougar, a real car or a toy!

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is my understanding, Yes. I can invite Johnny Lightning here to this group and you'all can ask him.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The parent company that owned Johnny Lightening, Playing Mantis, was sold awhile back so, I don't know if that affected any licensing deals that they had.

I certainly will buy it regardless. Quite a few of the Cougar die casts are "incorrect" one way or another.

·
Registered
839 Posts
For $4.99 I won't complain. If it was $499 then I would probably walk. I understand everyone's disappointment at the 67 Body, but still think it is a neat idea. I'm just hoping I can even get one at only 5,000 made. Andrew

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
The Eliminators for JL were in the "muscle car" series and were 69's.

Matter of fact, I can't think of a 1/64 scale 1970 mercury cougar coupe. Just the vert, as mentioned above.

The real $$ issue may be that someone needs to make a new casting.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Ill be buying a couple.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I've always felt if you're going to do something, do it right.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts