·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
economy getting better yet?
Our company had it's best year ever in 2011. Record sales and net profit at 2x forecast.

Q1 2012 is 25% ahead of goal and up 32% from last year. Current YTD EBIT is at 3x forecast.

Lead times for every chemical I buy is at all time highs. Demand is so strong that I am sourcing some things from Europe in spite of the exchange rate. The economy is as strong as it could be. Corporate profits are very strong and companies are swimming in retained earnings. We have not even had to touch our credit lines.
Maybe it's priced about 3 X too high?
I'm not spending $90 on any cougar that sits on a shelf.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Paul! You are the only person I know who thinks things are heading up! Everybody else I know has a, uh, less positive view. Yes, that sounds nice.
I hope I can get some of that when I get to Co.!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think it's a mixed bag - there has been a pretty big shift for sure.....walmart took it in the shorts this week but Apple went up. Some sectors are really bustling - used cars are getting top dollar - but houses aren't. Alcohol has gone up a bunch and still selling well (typical in down times though...?). The market volatility has been worse for sure over the last few years - 150 point swings aren't even eye openers anymore....I think the buy and hold strategies aren't viable these days. Seems like pump and dump is the method the big boys use. Kinda scarey when your getting longer in the tooth and you haven't seen any appreciable differences in your investments compared to the last 10 years! Slow and steady no longer seems to win the race!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My petrolium shares, are down overall from when I bought them, Micron, of all things has been my best performer. My two luxury item stocks, Disney and Odyssey marine, are mostly holding, no real growth or loss there. My hopefully some day stock, striker oil, has lost 96.46% of it's value. I know that with the cost of fuel as high as it is, I am very grateful to be over here~!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I cringe every time I think about Ford stock. Damn... I knew I should have bought it when it tanked to like $2 a share! Why did I let the wife talk me out of buying a gazillion shares?
Ah well, hindsight.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had some Ford shares, and some GM. Sold them both for non-performance.....I think I actually took a loss on both of them...

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I had some Ford shares, and some GM. Sold them both for non-performance.....I think I actually took a loss on both of them...
Yeah, speaking of non-performance, I'm still holding some Intel that I bought "cheap"...
Odd thing is that they have been posting record profits for the last few years.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have been in CAT stock for about 15 yrs now. Due to the Global needs in mining etc it has been a performer. That being said the economy may be better in some sectors but over all we are down. The middle class is hurting. If and when home prices start to escalade classic cars will come with at least that is what history has shown.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Our company had it's best year ever in 2011.
Good to hear, some are doing quite well despite how bad things are globally.

The economy is as strong as it could be.
You are either delusional or uninformed. Anyone who knows anything about the monetary system understands we are at the end of a cycle that was 70 years in the making and is unsustainable. The USPS loses 23 million a day. Food stamp participants has doubled in the last 4 years. One in 4/5 children/households are on food stamps. 50% of college grads have zero job opportunity. Things are very bad in the U.S., but things are much worse in Europe. The economy will continue to get worse for the majority of people on this planet until major changes are made, but history shows that never happens until something blows up.

I prescribe reading the most creditable financial site on the internet, once a day, for 10 minutes a day, 5 days a week, for the next 6 months. After you have all the facts, we can revisit this strong growth you speak of...

http://www.zerohedge.com/

Have a Happy Memorial Day weekend! :)

·
Registered
748 Posts
The news media keeps telling us that things are getting better but I want to know where at. I know that it's not for me. Inflation has been hurting us all for quite awhile now. They say that unemployment is coming down but that's because they have a new way of figuring the stats. I can write anything on a paper or computer screen but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
We just got the news that in 2014 we may not be selling power to the company currently buying it because they built a natural gas plant for themselves since it's so cheap now....a few of the other engineers in key spots have already bailed out.....I really don't want to be looking for another gig in a year agian!! I just got settled into my little hippie pad for crying out loud! On the plus side my stocks have held up fairly well - but no big gains either. I'm still holding onto my bidu and hoping they go gangbusters over the next few years since google got the boot! ----Common baby, dady want's a pony!! ;>)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts