Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I purchased one of those "untested" am fm 8 tracks from a swap meet, and I got to test it this weekend and it doesn't work. How do I got about repairing it? I'm not an electronics person, so what kind of store would I take it to have it done? I haven't dealt with 8 tracks in almost 20 years, so any help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Hemmings.
There are several listings for repair shops.
I had an 8 track that I was looking into having rebuilt.
If you are going to fire up the ol Foghat and maybe some KISS tunes on 8 track keep in mind that they only have a short shelf life the magnetic tape gets worked over 30 years.
BTW the only 8 tracks that always seemed to work for me were Christmas songs, go figure.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not to be a smart ass...but why do you still have an 8 track? If it is for originality or a concourse car, then that's cool. I'm a little bit of an audiophile and clear crisp tunes are a must have. Might I suggest taking the liner out of the glove box and wiring in a CD player in there. That way the car looks stock upon quick inspection and throws off thieves, but modern technology is only a button away.

Glad to see another KISS fan on here. BTW the band is cancelling their farewell tour and are continuing on. Apparently Gene needs more money and has discovered more women to "be with.":D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
8-tracks ARE cool! especially if your old enough to remember when they were about all there was. So get it fixed!! I sure remember mine.

Cd,s are better but I still belive there not any better than a good metal cassette tape, and I never seen one of them get scratched. The whole CD thing to me is one of the bigger scams put out. The reason is everyone had cassette tape players and the market was drying up for new sales, so viola!! Lets make something new so everyone has to buy something new to play them on!! Just a thought. mm

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You ask why I have an 8 track? Novelty, I guess. And at the price of a penny a pound they're cheap as well. While I'm waiting on buying the secret audio system, I figure if I waste 20 bucks on 8 tracks then It's worth the novelty. Besides, everyone has a cd player or cassette, but how many have 8 track players anymore? Besides, I have an 8 track to cassette adapter so I can sort of be modern as well. Also, the 8 track I had that stopped working got the best radio reception I've ever heard- bar none. I've also decided to buy another one, since I see them all the time for about 10 bucks or so. The bottom's dropped out of the 8 track market, and I'm here to pick up the pieces.

·
Registered
433 Posts
DroptopCougr said:
You ask why I have an 8 track? Novelty, I guess. And at the price of a penny a pound they're cheap as well. While I'm waiting on buying the secret audio system, I figure if I waste 20 bucks on 8 tracks then It's worth the novelty. Besides, everyone has a cd player or cassette, but how many have 8 track players anymore? Besides, I have an 8 track to cassette adapter so I can sort of be modern as well. Also, the 8 track I had that stopped working got the best radio reception I've ever heard- bar none. I've also decided to buy another one, since I see them all the time for about 10 bucks or so. The bottom's dropped out of the 8 track market, and I'm here to pick up the pieces.
So if you have the casette adapter for the 8 track, you could put a cd to casette adapter in to the casette to 8 track adapter and use a portable cd player in your 8 track player. Just a thought. Mine is the original AM/FM. That's okay though because Rush Limbaugh is about the only thing I listen to anyway on the radio. If I was going to listen to music though I'd have to ditch the stock system completely. I had a friend who restored an old Buick Skylark. He built a little door using the front of the stock radio...It lit up and everything, but behind it was an Alpine CD player. You couldn't tell the dash had been cut or anything. I'd probably go that route if I were to upgrade the system. If I had no glove box where would I throw all of the crap that I don't want cluttering up the car.

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Repair

I'm not sure on this but I thought Ray Harwood on this board fixed 8 tracks??? You might want to check with him....

Dale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts