Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered me a catalog, Question, When you spray paint something do you use a primer first? I never had but never really cared before either?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I always do. Clean/strip it good, scuff it up, prime, paint.

·
Registered
913 Posts
That depends on what you are painting, most interior parts are paint over bare steel, exterior parts usually get primed.Most under-hood parts were paint over steel.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what type of primer would ya use?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
RUST-OLEUM has a automotive primer that I like. It is a spray can, gray in color, and their #2081. It dries very fast, sands easy, and allows wet sanding as well. It will fill minor scratches with several coats. I highly recommend always having a scrap to test spray, this allows you to spray the top coat on the test piece to assure compatibility.

One thing I have learned is to read the label on rattle spray cans for RECOAT instructions. Many colors state, MUST SPRAY ADDITIONAL COATS WITHING AN HOUR, OR AFTER 24-48 HOURS. Here again a test piece is needed. I try to buy only spray paints that the RECOAT instructions state, RECOAT ANYTIME.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dale, I honestly appreciate all yalls help!

·
Registered
200 Posts
look into getting some black primer for your parts that will be painted black and use a gray primer for all your non black parts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
All hardware stores seem to carry this primer too. You don't have to go to a automotive parts store. I buy mine at Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, or WalMart.

Dale in Indy

P.S. Black primer in our area is difficult to buy, I have found this RUST-OLEUM gray works very well for all colors. IMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts