Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to find a buyer for the July 67 build (early July) A Code 289 and matching C4. Both worked and it will come with all accessories (except alternator, carb and distributor). I also have the original air cleaner assembly to go with it.

Price is very negotiable and becomes more negotiable if you want to help me pull it. This will be pulled probably within the next week or 2 and I need someone to commit to taking it.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I also have the driveshaft and rear already pulled and ready for whoever wants them (read: free). 8" Rear is a 3.00 open diff, drum rear.

Carb Dizzy and Intake.jpg

·
Registered
780 Posts
Whats the history of the 289 like recent parts, was it rebuilt and if so how long ago, approximate mileage, etc? What are you looking to at least get for it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The only thing I had replaced was the carb, distributor and alternator. I drove it home when I bought it and drove it to the gas station once. I ran it several times just sitting in the garage for 20-30 minutes at a time and it ran very well, didn't smoke (it was running rich, but no smoke) or overheat. It does look like the water pump was replaced recently (it looks fairly new). The title says 92,xxx miles on it as well as the odometer, and based on the fact I don't think it has been pulled apart, I think that is probably accurate. The potential buyer should assume it needs freshened up.

I should also note, by accessories, I am referring to the power steering pump and front brackets. I am going to go the serpentine route, and won't be using them. If someone wanted to give me $100 extra for the alternator I would do it (it's a chrome 3G 150amp internally regulated, paid $160), otherwise I'll change out the pulley and use it in the serpentine setup.

The transmission, like most C4's that have not been gone through leaks. The fluid looked clean when I replaced the cooler/radiator, but if it was leaking, you can assume it looks clean because it is newer fluid than it should be. The potential buyer should assume it needs freshened up.

That said, $300 for it and the transmission would suffice (and as noted you can have the driveshaft and rearend for free with or without the engine). Not looking to make any money off of it, I am more interested in putting it in the hands of someone that can use it and preventing myself from having to store it.

I have never shipped anything this large and I am not going to go through a lot of hassle to ship it. If you have a company that will crate it and ship it, it will be on you. I will provide access and some help.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, if someone was really looking for concours type use, I may be able to get the original carb back (gave it to another forum member). The distributor was given to the same person as well, but it was not the original. The original alternator was trashed.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I need to find a buyer for the July 67 build (early July) A Code 289 and matching C4. Both worked and it will come with all accessories (except alternator, carb and distributor). I also have the original air cleaner assembly to go with it.

Price is very negotiable and becomes more negotiable if you want to help me pull it. This will be pulled probably within the next week or 2 and I need someone to commit to taking it.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I also have the driveshaft and rear already pulled and ready for whoever wants them (read: free). 8" Rear is a 3.00 open diff, drum rear.

View attachment 25532
My 67 XR7 is a 4/4/67 build, but currently has a 68 289-2V in it. Definitely interested. I'll send you a PM, but would certainly defer to anyone that needed a specific date powertrain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts