Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I continue to learn something new about Ford cars all the time. I'm told by Shelby fanatics that the first 200 67 Shelbys had these rear cutouts with the chrome trim. Later they switched to the Mustang GT cutouts. From this picture looks close to the G chrome trim.

67chromeexhaust.jpg

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yep, it is the same trim. The "pipe-in-a-pipe" chrome exhaust is very similar, but the the Cougar exhaust tips are a little longer.

XR-7 Cougars that were destined to be Gs were sent to A. O. Smith for conversion along with the '68 Shelbys so there are some other parts sharing, like click pins and fog lights.

·
11,000 Posts
Actually the 1968 GT350 used that style exhaust through the entire model year. The 1968 GT500 also used that style exhaust and trim for all of its production.

The 1968 GT500KR used a twin tip exhaust pipe with a different rear valance. The Gt500 was phased out in April - May 68, while the GT500KR was phased in. I suspect this is what caused you to believe it was an early / late thing.

I continue to learn something new about Ford cars all the time. I'm told by Shelby fanatics that the first 200 67 Shelbys had these rear cutouts with the chrome trim. Later they switched to the Mustang GT cutouts. From this picture looks close to the G chrome trim.

View attachment 23451

1 - 4 of 4 Posts