Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

again, it's been quite a while since I last visited here. With a recent breakup from my woman that left me flatly devastated, and work, time has become a major issue lately (all the joys of being a freelancer...). Anyways, some you you might still remember the 302 in my '67 suddenly developed a nasty case of rod knock a few months ago.

Now, I have finally found (and already bought) a replacement engine - an early 289-2bbl (five-bolt block) with numbers-matching 3speed manual gearbox and new clutch assembly. All seem to be in quite healthy condition.

I am still missing a clutch pedal and Z-bar.

I vaguely remember there are some pitfalls waiting when trying to swap them early blocks into '67-'68 bodies. Can anyone of you give me any pointers? Like, transmission crossmember, or motor mounts?

Also, if anyone of you wants to get rid of a '67-'68 clutch pedal assembly, please feel free to drop me a line. I can pay through paypal or even send cash dollars via snail mail. I've seen them on eBay from 150 - 250 dollars, in all kinds of condition, so that might be a source too. wanted to ask here first, though.

Regards,

Simon

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy back Chris,

apparently, it's from some early Mustang, around when they switched from 260's to 289's.

Doesn't the cougar's longer driveshaft make up for the differences in length anyway?
I suppose 3.03 transmissions should be the same; the tailshaft housings being the only variable, respectively.

Simon

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I think you'll be OK then. I meant that the Mustang/Cougar toploader is shorter than say, one out of a fairlaine, Torino or some such.

You may have to play with the driveshaft, I forget if a c4 will slide into a toplaoder - or is it a BW tranny?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts