Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E-tek Restorations: '67 Cougar XR7
Hello Cougar Fans!
A long-time member here, Trent, is having me do some restoration work on his '67 XR7. It's a decent driver that he wants completely redone and renewed - as they all should be!

Re: E-tek Restorations: '67 Cougar XR7

www.E-tekRestorations.com
www.E-tekRestorations.blogspot.com

It's a clean driver, but there's some parts that will get my undivided attention!
This is looking up under the dask. Looks pretty good, but enough water leaked through here to ruin the floor...

www.E-tekRestorations.com
www.E-tekRestorations.blogspot.com

After stripping/dismantling almost the entire car, Trent brought it to my shop yesterday on a flat deck. So happened the truck-operator that showed to his house was my next door neighbour - small world, especially around here!

Once inside, I took a good look at what I was starting on. All in all, a decent starting point for sure. There's a few obvious issues and it's been hit a couple times, but nothing that can't be remedied with knowlwdge, tools and time!

The owner wants it to be a show-driver, which is about my favourite kind of restoration. Aside from my usual attention to originality, he has also thought out some upgrades that will make it more drivable - and safe - for all involved. This includes front end structural upgrades as well as shoulder belts for the back seat - to keep his two little girls safe on cruise nights! My kind of guy.

In order to help save site bandwidth, that's all I'll put up for now. If you want lots more detail, check out the blog link below. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Awesome blog!! Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Post some pictures of Mrs. E-tek, you'll make lots of friends in a hurry here. :evil:

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Post some pictures of Mrs. E-tek, you'll make lots of friends in a hurry here. :evil:
Down boy Down! that is a nice cougar!

The man also pushed his pin in the map.

The first one in his neighborhood :lol:

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Beware of Mrs. E-tek as she is very cunning and she'll teach your wife to be the sameway. My wife met Mrs. E-tek last Halloween and by December 1st we started a complete home renovation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beware of Mrs. E-tek as she is very cunning and she'll teach your wife to be the sameway. My wife met Mrs. E-tek last Halloween and by December 1st we started a complete home renovation.
Yes but now you can go all-out on your Cougar without a trace of guilt! (Unfortunately it's now gonna cost you 3X as much.....sorry!)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
What is that badge/emblem thingy on the left front fender, where a 7 liter GT-E emblem would go?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Well howdy Mr Bundy! Nice to see a familiar Av! But let's not go spreading rumours here - it's about Trent's car! ;)
You've found a great audience for your work. They'll eat up whatever you post for them to see. But be warned, they'll also let you know if you screw up!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
These are close up's of Speedy Gonzales - the fastest mouse in all Mexico! I really hate to paint over them. Perhaps I should get some different fenders and save these ones.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I was expecting it to be much worse.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
The car spent most of it's life in the desert by Cortez Colorado. I bought the car in 2005 off eBay from a dealer in Murray Utah, sO that is why it's not a rusted out Western Canadian car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still wating on replacement panels, but now that I've cleared off my list of to-do's on the Galaxie, I'm ready to dive in head first to this sweetheart of a Cougar!

Today I removed the vinyl top, which first necessitated the very delicate (even with Channel-locks!) operation of removing the drip rail mouldings:

Tools used included a pair of channel-lock pliers with the jaws well-taped to avoid marring the trim and a putty knife (or two) to help pry the mouldings apart or away from the drip rail. You'll also use a razor knife and a smaller pry bar (plastic is good) to avoid marring the chrome.

The key to this operation is to slowly work the drip rail moulding off a little at a time, working back and forth along the rail until it loosens, then putting the putty knives in between the moulding and body to hold it apart whiel continuuing to gently pry further along. Operative terms - slow and gentle.... ;)

My camera died right as I finished, so I'll continue tomorrow with shots of the nekked roof.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts