Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the combo was designed to make 580 horse and 520 torque...made 565 horse and 490 torque. Still needs a little more ring break in and we couldn't use my headers (wouldn't clear the brackets on the dyno)..so there was a little header inclusion on the port, so I think we're right there power wise. Should be fun! Now if I just had some time to get it all together....

http://youtu.be/5GwBJz6qOm0

·
Registered
992 Posts
sweet music to my ears, thanks for sharing, and congrats on such a stout 347. is this on racing fuel? is the engine going into a race car or a street car? whatever it is, it's going to run hard to say the least.

Kevin

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's going in my road racer..replacing the 331 that catastrophically failed about 14 months ago. The combo is Dart iron eagle block, 3.25 stroke crank, 5.4 H beams, 4.125 bore, Vic Jr heads ported to 320cfm, Parker Funnelweb, T&D rockers, Crower solid roller, Moroso road race pan and custom oil pump (Cobra Automotive), and a bunch of other goodies. Tried to put good parts in it, can't afford another explosion..

·
Registered
22 Posts
....Sounds good! Did you dyno at FE Specialties or somewhere else in the valley? Stan said his headers usually fit most dyno's, but are sometimes a little tight.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sounds awesome. Can't wait to put mine on the dyno and see what she does, but mine is going to be a chassis dyno. Corrected for drivetrain, I am hoping for about the same or a little more.

Congrats, can't wait to see a track video. Do you ever run at Barber in Alabama?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah kind of a bummer I couldn't use the headers on the dyno, no worries though. Tom uses this little shop out by Sacramento Drag strip. The headers hit on the drivers side, the bell housing bracket.
I don't get out to the East Coast but as soon as I hit the lottery!! I have a list of tracks I'd love to go run..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nice! Is that a Fram oil filter? Not to be mean but you might as well run without a filter. I recommend using Purolator, Wix, Baldwin/Hastings, Donaldson or branded filters made by these companies. Stay away from Fram and any Champion Labs filters that use the encore design. Mobil 1 and K&N filters are made by Champion labs but use an older design and they a great filters though high cost. I run Motorcraft filters on my Fords because they are made by Purolator and are readily available at Walmart cheap. On my GM's I use Purolator filters from Pep Boys also for cheap.

Some good info, not new but very enlightening. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html and http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

Bill

·
Registered
992 Posts
RoadRacer68 might be using the HP Fram racing series. I donlt think the minimopar article listed the HP's. I use them on my drag racing engine, primarily becuase I needed a shorter spin-on filter to clear the Milodon pan which is wider for 7 qt capacity and will block the regular PH series filter. Also, the larger block seal and the higher burst pressure is more peace of mind since I don't run a filter bypass, and the reworked oil pump creates very high pressure when engine is cold (I use 10w40 oil). No issues (knock on wood) and I cut the filters open and inspect at every oil change so monitor the engine wear.

Kevin

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I've never had a problem with Fram filters although I think the Wix filters are probably the best. 51515 is the Ford number, 51515R for the racing filter.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, primarily track days with the occasional Nasa Time Trial thrown in here and there. Been thinking about running AV8SS this year but who knows, to many other things on the table to dedicate my every non working moment to working on running a schedule..and now with my daughters track car/autocrosser getting close to running, don't see any real racing in the near future..

On the filter, it's an HP but that's just for the dyno runs, I normally run an remote Amsoil filter.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
WOW - that funnel web really holds the top end from the looks of it....probably the best your gonna get out of WOT runs. SWEET! 7K is really making me sweat a bit too....pheeeew
Looking forward to hearing how she runs!!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Sounded really nice! Looking forward to more track footage and stills...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts