Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the cougar on the dyno today. Pretty much got what was expected for the engine combination that it is. 400 440 Good street romper. Now with a baseline I can start tweaking.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Great numbers, sounds like a strong engine. I am hoping for around the same torque on mine, but around 450 or a little higher on horsepower. I should have stroked mine too, oh well, maybe next time.

Do you have the printout? or build specs?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
418 dyno 001.jpg I would like to get the power up some, going to look at some cam changes but I like where the curves are for a street car. 418 windsor afr 205's airgap intake 750 holly dp hyd roller 236/252 dur at .05 .576 .576 lift .110 lsa

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Mike you're right, it is a strong engine (ask me how I know :buck:). A couple of months ago I went to the cruise night in Belton again and met Jeff for the 2nd time (nice person and the car is very nice looking and the engine sounds great with the headers open). Jeff gave me a ride in the car and when he stomped on it, the car fishtailed, left marks and it snapped my head back! Very impressive numbers Jeff! :) John

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John I'm going to run Fordfest next weekend at kcir That will tell a lot more.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Nice numbers!

My 393W has not been put on an actual dyno, but from it's performance in the 1/4-mile we can calculate the power put to the ground fairly accurately. 13.06 @ 106.8 and 4150 pounds (w/ driver) means I'm putting something like 385hp to the ground, which means something like 480hp at the crank when drivetrain losses are figured in.. Not bad for a 9.4:1 motor that runs on 89 octane pump gas, Hydraulic roller cam, .545/.545 lift, 276/282 adv dur and 224/230 @ .050, and my professionally-ported Windsor Senior iron heads. This is almost exactly what the CompCams 'Desktop Dyno' program predicted. I'm happy with that!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
What gear did you run the tests in? MPH looks way too low to have been 4th/drive

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Very nice - looks like she pulls pretty hard on the top end 350-380 the air gap is flowing very smooth.....what was you fuel ratio like I wonder?,,,,

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What gear did you run the tests in? MPH looks way too low to have been 4th/drive
They do this in 3rd gear. For what ever reason when it prints it defalts to mph. I did'nt notice until I got home. They are going to e mail me one with engine speed.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Im still putting the parts together for my 408. Going with a budget build. patriot Freedom 185 heads, 95 roller block, probe stroker kit, Eddy Air gap intake, long tube headers, 2.5" x-over exhaust. I am waiting till the engine is actually assembled before I decide on my final carb/cam pieces. I have 650 and 750 carbs waiting in the wings but I'm still researching the best cam to unlock the HP. I have taken out the vaccuum system for the headlights and am replacing it with the electrical swap and since I dont have power brakes I can go a little heavier on the cam if I want. I have a 9 inch with a locking 4:11 waiting to go in once the swap is done.

If I can get anywheres close to 400 rwhp with this setup I'll be tickled pink. More than enough for my purposes.

Your engine sounds awesome. Gives me hope that I am on the right track :)

·
5,470 Posts
Spart,

I was concerned that those patriot heads were going to hold you back, but I found a flow chart that indicates that they're not as bad as I thought...

I see that they have a max lift capability of .550" so keep that in mind when you order your cam. Also they use only a single valvespring and not sure if they are machined for doubles.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I researched the heads a bit as a budget head. They are modelled very similar to the AFR 165s but they aren't finished as well. If I do a little bit of port finishing and valve stem work myself I can improve a little on those flow numbers but they are far better than the other heads I have been looking at. toss in the fact that I got them with the AirGap intake for $500 total = win ;)

Gawd I'm a cheap ass :)

·
5,470 Posts
$500 with the intake is a heck of a deal! I thought I did good with my professionally-ported (used) Windsor Seniors for $400.

Air Gap intake might be a bit tall to fit under the hood - the AG is about an inch taller than the 'normal' Performer RPM.

You still had better watch your cam selection. Most of the hydraulic roller cams I've seen use dual valvesprings. Make sure those heads are machined to handle them!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im still putting the parts together for my 408. Going with a budget build. patriot Freedom 185 heads, 95 roller block, probe stroker kit, Eddy Air gap intake, long tube headers, 2.5" x-over exhaust. I am waiting till the engine is actually assembled before I decide on my final carb/cam pieces. I have 650 and 750 carbs waiting in the wings but I'm still researching the best cam to unlock the HP. I have taken out the vaccuum system for the headlights and am replacing it with the electrical swap and since I dont have power brakes I can go a little heavier on the cam if I want. I have a 9 inch with a locking 4:11 waiting to go in once the swap is done.

If I can get anywheres close to 400 rwhp with this setup I'll be tickled pink. More than enough for my purposes.

Your engine sounds awesome. Gives me hope that I am on the right track :)
Keep us posted with your cam choice. More than enough for my purposes nails it on the head. I'm talking with a custom cam grinder to up the power and keep the drivabilty mabey a change this winter. We'll see what happens at the strip. The clutch and trany have me a little concerned. A general idea is WOT on those sticky tires and the t5 is toast

1 - 14 of 14 Posts